Wednesday, July 04, 2018

The Peachtree in Pictures

With plantar fascitis hampering my training, I thought it a good year to take a camera along on my Peachtree Road Race journey. Will, Thomas, Anna, and I parked near the Piedmont / Peachtree intersection and watched the leaders pass by. 
We also saw the fighter jet flyover, a memorable experience.
The women started early, running past in a flash.
 They quickly disappeared, off toward the one mile mark.
The men's leader was accompanied by two motorcycles.
Will saw a fellow Augusta College medical student in the lead pack.
 Our attention was quickly re-directed from north to south.
When we looked back north we saw thousands of runners bearing down on us. We quickly dashed from the middle of the street to the side of the road.
We walked up Piedmont to the Buckhead Connector, across 400 and around the back of Phipps Plaza to Weiuca Road, and finally to Peachtree. I heard the announcement that Group K was departing. I took off down the sidewalk past several groups to join my Group L. I didn't make it, so I had to start with Group M at 7:55 AM.
One interesting thing about running the Peachtree every year is seeing what new buildings have been built. Here's what the southwest corner of Peachtree and Stratford looks like - site of the former Christian Science Reading Room (which used to be the house where my mom grew up).
 It's always amazing to look down the road and see all the runners. Here's the view crossing 400.
These chairs sit in front of Peachtree Road Methodist, in memory of the two elderly sisters who used to cheer runners on every year.
 Crossing Pharr Road.
 Bus in front of the Buckhead Publix.
 At The Cathedral of St. Philip 
three priests sprinkled holy water on the runners.
 Saw Reid and Edie at Second-Ponce. Also the Mullens.
Great view looking down Peachtree from Wesley.
Building on left is where my grandmother used to live.
Passing Lindbergh headed toward Peachtree Battle
and the Peachtree Creek bridge.
Halfway up Cardiac Hill, approaching Benihana and Peachtree Park. Will and Thomas had just passed me.
 The iconic Darlington Apartments sign.
 The new Piedmont Hospital extends all the way to Collier Road.
At the four mile mark,
just before the rail station and bridge over I-85.
At the south end of the I-85 bridge, looking toward Peachtree Christian Church and on up to White Columns.
I stopped at the water station on the left to say hello to my former coworker Ellsworth. Guess I was too busy talking to get a good picture.
 Passing Rhodes Hall, I passed three Star Wars devotees.
 Nearing the Federal Home Loan Bank and West Peachtree.
Many of the major intersections had garbage trucks blocking the road, like here at West Peachtree.
After the West Peachtree intersection, Peachtree Road turns left toward the High Museum and Colony Square, a stretch formerly known as the Olympic Mile. The entire pace of the middle of the pack seemed even slower than usual, and runners had to constantly weave past slower runners and walkers the entire way. 
The skyscrapers around Colony Square
now stretch from 14th Street to 10th Street.
The Five Mile mark. Only while editing these pictures
did I notice the sign atop the Colony Square Hotel.
 The Federal Reserve Bank looms just before the turn onto 10th Street.
Turning east on Tenth, runners increase their pace for the home stretch. Here the crowd is thicker, mostly loved ones who've come down to pick up the runners. At the bottom of the hill looms the bridge of race photographers, where even the walkers are sure to sprint past. Indeed I was so wrapped up with my running form that I forgot to snap a photo of the bridge.  
We cross Piedmont and Juniper an climb the final short hill, toward the six mile mark. Piedmont Park (on the right) is momentarily ignored. The finish line can be seen in the distance, and most runners pick up their pace.
 At long last, the finish line, at Tenth and Charles Allen.
In the park the crowd is huge. A glance back up the hill on 10th Street shows runners and walkers continuing to stream into the park - for three hours straight.
The Braves Heavy Hitters Drum Line take a break behind the stage.
Blooper even made an appearance.
The incredibly long line to get your picture taken on the Peachtree sign.
Yesterday's blog post was a list of many of my Peachtree Road Race memories from my previous 30 years of running - both the good and the bad.
For my race recap check out Thursday's post.

No comments: