Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Where Was God?

The last thing I want to do is get into all the shouting about the mass shootings. I'd lose a large percentage of my six remaining readers. But Jim Denison’s son had a good reminder this morning that many in America, Christians even, fail to remember:
 
Where was God in El Paso and Dayton? What is he doing in the aftermath of these horrible tragedies? God gives us free will so we can choose to love him and each other (Matthew 22:37–39). When humans misuse our freedom, the fault is not the Lord’s but ours: “God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire” (James 1:13–14). If God always prevented the consequences of sin, we would not be free. If he had intervened in El Paso or Dayton, or if he protects you and me from the results of our next sins, human freedom would not be real.
One of the managers always wears a black golf shirt on Monday, red on Tuesday, and navy on Wednesday.  Sometimes he changes up Thursday and Friday. Several of us in the office have been copying his pattern. Today there are at least six of us wearing red golf shirts. He should feel honored. It does make getting dressed easier.  
 
Was reminded of the old flood story where the guy was asking God for help.
 
Tuesday: after my morning walk I weighed less than I have all year, less than I have in a couple of years. Of course I have a bunch of dinners lined up this month. Pizza tonight, burgers tomorrow, Dreamland BBQ on Friday, and Korean BBQ on Saturday for starters. Didn’t have leftovers to bring for lunch. Gonna have a big supper so I was just going to try to get by. But there are leftovers from the big meeting downstairs: scones, fruit, sandwiches, potato salad, plus two other salads. But hopefully I can continue to work out regularly and continue to lose.
 
Left work around 5:30. Ceil is in the middle of getting ready for school. Late supper of chicken and rice, and tossed salad. Not much on TV. Went to bed before 9:30 but got up early to run.
 
Finished The President is Missing and started Of Mice and Men, read by Gary Sinise. Did you see the Sunday afternoon interview by Chip/Francoeur/Glavine with Sinise? Long inning, and they almost ran out of things to talk about. Inspired me to read his book, so I’m on the hold list. Still on hold for the book Reid suggested as well.
 
Had some Amazon points expiring so I quickly ordered the book “I Don’t Care if I Ever Get Back” about some guys that traveled around the country visiting various ballparks. Also reordered a Grizzlies pullover in the right size. Had gotten it for Christmas but in the wrong size.
 
I always try to get to the tire store ten minutes before they open, so I can be the first customer and not wait. Speaking of, this morning I drove by Claire’s favorite tire store in Cobb County – Tire Deals.
 
Interesting the George Wright passed away the day his son’s church called a new pastor. I had forgotten that George had graduated from the same high school as me. Service is Saturday morning. On Friday there’s the funeral for our Sunday School teacher’s wife’s sister. Retired General William (Jerry) Boykin is speaking to the JFBC men next Sunday night.
 
Saw where Clay Smith, the new JFBC pastor is a big Red Sox fan. Has a Gamecocks helmet on his Twitter account. Well I guess no one is perfect. He posts interesting tweets, sometimes on the odd side but usually meaningful. Nothing useless. He should be a good follow.  
 
Was going to leave work Tuesday at five but got a call right at five with a credit card order, which took longer than usual. Then an email. Was almost 5:30 when I left. Stopped on the way home for pizza, which was okay. Anna stopped for Chipotle. Ceil was at her ministry. I had to cut the grass, which took until just about dark. The grass I had transplanted had just about died. Watched some Braves but went to bed before Folty and the bullpen started giving up runs.
 
After my walk/run in the morning and grass cutting late in the afternoon, right when I was going to bed my knee started hurting. Hurt when I bent it during the night but is okay now.
 
Eye doctor this morning. Not much change. Said the swelling had gone down in my right eye. I go back in October.


When I got through paying and was fixing to leave, I ran into Louie Giglio in the elevator. Dressed in all black as usual. Introduced myself and thanked him for his ministry. He seemed subdued, but as we exited the elevator and walked outside he asked me about my appointment. He’s a big selfie guy so I had him take a picture of us together. As he walked away he said “God bless!”
 
Got the CRV emissions done on the way to work, and breakfast at Taco Bell. Called in a favor to make sure we would be having BBQ for our lunch meeting on Friday. Coworker taking off Thursday and Friday plus several more have meetings in Augusta on Thursday, so my hands will be full.
My coworkers brought me pie today, then Ceil baked one for tonight's dessert.
RON WASHINGTON replaced Cal Ripken, Jr. as a pinch-runner ending Cal’s consecutive innings streak. Pinch-ran for Cal in the top of the 8th inning on 14-Sep-1987 which pegged the consecutive innings streak at 8,264, confirmed by SABR research to be the record. Ron led the Senior Professional Baseball League in RBI in its inaugural season - 73 RBI in 1989 for the West Palm Beach Tropics of the SPBL. He lost his home and the home he bought for his mother-in-law in New Orleans to Hurricane Katrina. He left his coaching job for OAK to join his family in a shelter after they evacuated their home in August of 2005. Kirby Puckett, in his Hall of Fame induction speech, called him “my big-league father”. Puckett’s HOF speech given 05-Aug-2001. 

BTW: I was just kidding about the six readers. I have a few more than that. Usually.

2 comments:

Don Head said...

Glad I'm still one of the more than 6. Happy belated b-day!

David said...

I'm glad too. Thanks for the good wishes and continued readership!