Tuesday, November 05, 2019

GRIT GRIND

Friday evening Will came up for supper, since MC was busy. Brought Okie. Anna and Matthew home as well. Pork chops, tossed salad. Loaded up his big Toyota Sequoia with Anna’s mattress, bookcase, and other items. Anna had announced she was going to a wedding on Sunday afternoon in Decatur. Friday night after dinner she was checking her phone and noticed the bride had posted that she was “looking forward to tomorrow.” Anna figured out the wedding was Saturday, not Sunday. Good thing.
 
Saturday morning small group. Lessons are lined up with our Sunday School lessons in I Peter. Hustled home so M could drive my car to work. Watched ESPN College Gameday then mailed a package and got M’s Jeep’s emissions tested. Ate leftover meatballs for lunch. Turned on Wake Forest/NC State and took a nap. Slept through the start of UGA/FL.
 
Ceil and Anna had gone down to W&MC’s house. Later A went to her wedding and C shopped her way back home. I folded laundry and did the dishes. Supper was the leftover meatballs (I’m going to finish them off for lunch today). Watched a funny movie “Rewrite” starring Hugh Grant, Marisa Tomei, and Allison Janney.   

After Sunday School I drove over to SunTrust Park for season ticketholder Play Day. Started at 1100 am and by the time I arrived at 1130 the Delta lot was crammed. Headed downstairs first for lunch, as I knew the lines would be long all day. Roast beef sliders, grits & sausage, pimento cheese, curly fries, tater tots, cookies brownies. Later I went back to try the flatbread pizza ziti, and tossed salad. Saw a few people I knew. Joel Norman was there but I missed him. Watched a friend hit in the cage. Line was too long for me. Got my picture took with Leo Mazzone, Kris Medlin, Eddie Perez, and Kelly Johnson. Had wanted to see Walter Banks but he wasn’t there. Neither was my friend Miss Marion. Prizes were a Braves blanket and Sugar Skull bobblehead. Also bought a pair of green MLB St Patricks Day socks.

Since I was on Cobb Parkway I stopped by a few thrift stores on the way home. For some reason one of the stores had a bunch of new Memphis Grizzlies t-shirts. I love the light blue color. Bought one that said BELIEVE MEMPHIS. Will wear it in next year’s Peachtree Road Race.
Got home and was pretty tired from all the walking. Tried to crash on the couch. Loaded Anna’s Subaru with her chest of drawers and other stuff. She got down to W&MC’s for supper, but realized she’d left her sheets as well as the shelves for her bookcase.
Watched two movies: “This Beautiful Fantastic” (Ceil loved) and “The Bookshop” (not as good). Then a little Patriots/Ravens. Finished my baseball book “I Don’t Care if I Never Get Back” about the guys who drove 22000 miles in 30 days to see games at all 30 MLB ballparks. 


Might be feeling a little puny, now that I think about it. Got in a lot of steps Sunrday at the Braves gig. Wore my new more heavily-padded sneakers, but I think the not so great shoes were one of the reasons I was so tired afterwards. I think my CPAP dries out my tongue. My mouthwash might have alcohol, but whatever my tongue seems swollen and eating isn’t as fun. BTW another sweepstakes to win a CPAP found me.


Left work shortly after five. Sunday I had bought the Grizzlies BELIEVE MEMPHIS t-shirt. I love the light blue color and adidas dri-fit fabric. Also the bear head logo. Decided to go back and buy the two others I saw: GRIT GRIND and MEMPHIS BASKETBALL.
Got there and got those, then also found a third: WE DON’T BLUFF. Four shirts for nine bucks. With these four light blue t-shirts, my navy Grizzlies quarter zip, my grey Grizz Gaming t-shirt, and my light blue Grizzlies team socks, I can wear Grizzlies gear five days a week. Got a friend who works with the Grizzlies, who sometimes reads this blog. Told his dad but will surprise him with the news.    


Grilled BBQ chicken tenders, cole slaw, and green beans. I skipped the rice and potatoes. Watched The Neighborhood and God Friended Me. Then some Monday Night Football just to have it on when I was finished up my laptop stuff. Wasn’t feeling 100%.


RON FAIRLY [SABR Bio] was the first player after Stan Musial to play 1,000 games in the outfield and 1,000 games in the infield - 1,037 G = LF +CF + RF; 1,218 G @ 1b.  Since accomplished by Peter Rose and Robin Yount. Fairly’s only times as an All-Star were in his 16th and 20th seasons. AS in 1973 & 1977. He has the most career home runs while never hitting 20 in a season. Highest HR years was 19 in 1977, but he never had a year with 0 in 21 seasons. Had the last plate appearance, at-bat, hit and RBI in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Drove in Wally Moon in the 13th inning of the last game in the Coliseum 20-Sep-1961. Played for both major league teams in Canada. Played in MON 1969-74 and TOR in 1977. In each case it was the first season for each expansion team. Played for twelve seasons under manager Walt Alston, but never played in Brooklyn. Began his MLB career with LAD in 1958. Only player to hit his first and last major league home run on the same date, twenty years apart. First MLB HR = 12-Sep-1958 off Ron Kline; Final MLB HR = 12-Sep=1978 off Doc Medich.
 

No comments: