Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Lanier Poets

My high school used to be called the Lanier Poets. Want to get me a Christmas present? Thinking about ordering this shirt with the following specs: (1) product 788 long sleeve wicking t-shirt, (2) size XXL, (3) shirt color = forest green, (4)  logo size: full front, (5) logo source: "best-selling" LANIER 19 XXL 68 POETS, (6) design color = orange. Order here.
 
 
Both GA/GT and SC/Clemson play at noon on Saturday. Senior UGA kicker Robrigo Blankenship was named one of the three finalists for the Groza Award. The other two finalists, and Iowa junior and Washington sophomore, don’t even handle kickoff duties for their teams. One of the Groza votes is picked by a fan vote. Click here to vote for Blankenship every day.
 
 
From the book Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World: MBA students are given a team decision making exercise on whether their fictional race team should race in cold weather. They are given various bits of information and are told they can ask for more. The engine gaskets had blown in four races run in cooler weather, though they'd had no problems in 17 other races. Everyone chooses to race. In fact the data given the students was actually what was given to the NASA engineers when they were deciding whether to launch space shuttle Columbia. What they didn't factor in was the temperatures when the 17 successful missions launched. They engineers never looked at that, nor did the students. Had they added in that data it would've been obvious the launch should've been stopped.   
 
Friday it was my job to clean up all the leftovers from the BBQ lunch. That afternoon I’d eaten extra Brunswick Stew and Potato Salad. Took home the leftover BBQ beef. Had some for lunch on Saturday and today.
 
After work Friday I met Ceil at the YMCA. Walked three miles.
 
Saturday morning small group. The guys always talk about exotic food, so I changed the subject to the Chickfila Dwarf House breakfast buffet. We’re meeting there for our next meeting December 7. Home for ESPN College Gameday and the BBQ, which I made into quesadillas. Laundry and other housework. Watched Ohio State / Penn State and the first half of GA/A&M.
 
At 530 we left to pick up the Chiles and went to play games at the Mayfields with Buddy and Sandy. Heavy appitisers: meatballs, dips, cupcakes, and Ceil’s chicken and beef quesadillas and homemade salsa. Played Nerts and Brainiacs.
 
Sunday School and worship. New pastor Clay Smith led a “healing service”, first preaching on healing, then worshippers could come and pray for healing. When Jesus healed the ten lepers, only one came back to that Him. Jesus asked “where are the other nine?” Our focus needs to be on the healer, not being healed. Sometimes God heals, sometimes not. Not for us to ask why.  
 
Sunday School notes: when discussing matters of faith, it's not what I believe that matters - but what the Bible says. I believe the Bible is the Word of God. It's not that I think something is wrong, but what the Bible says is wrong. That allows me the freedom to love the person, since I'm not judging them. If someone takes issue with me, is it illegal for me to follow what the Bible says? Maybe not, but these days a vocal minority will want me removed from my position.
 
1 Peter 2 15 and 4:3-5 and 3:15 "that your good conscience may put others to shame." Tells us three times to do good and one time to separate ourselves. Am I being slandered? Are people talking bad about me? Why not?
 
Me: sometimes I need to do something that I don’t want to do, because it’s hard and unpleasant and I don’t know exactly what needs to be done. Sometimes I just skip doing it because I don’t want to do it. I know I need to do it and need God’s strength. Mostly I just need to do it regardless of how unpleasant it is.
 
JFBC is sending two different teams on one-week trips to minister during next summer’s Tokyo Olympics. Sounds interesting.
 
After church I bought a nice pair of stretchy black Izod golf pants which I’m wearing today. Leftover quesadillas for lunch. Watched the rest of the GA/A&M game even though we already knew the outcome. Then a little Falcons/Bucs. Cut the grass and RAKED the driveway. Then Pats/Dallas and a Lifetime movie. Couldn't sleep Sunday night. Not sure why. Was tired from working in the yard. Hadn't taken a nap. Hadn't drunk any caffeine. Wasn't worried about anything. Hopefully I'm not getting sick. Joints ache.
 
Monday morning I had a 715 doctor’s appointment. Shingles vaccine shot made my arm sore. EKG. results were normal. Next week I’m having a stress test at the cardiologist. My dance card is filling up:
 
11.28 Thanksgiving
11.30 UGA@GT
12.02 road trip
12.03 stress test
12.05 focus group    
12.06 SS party.
12.07 830 CFA buffet
12.07 330 GA/LSU
12.07 700 party
12.08 Tokyo trip meeting
12.11 hot stove meeting
12.12 ESPN college football awards in Atlanta
12.13 work lunch meeting
12.14 work dinner
 
Monday: left work about 530. Went to the Y and walked 3 miles. First time I listened to my audiobook while walking. Worked well. I don’t like to wear earphones when I’m walking outside so I can listen to nature and for cars and people. Walking after work means I not as hungry so I don’t eat as much, which is good.
 
Made it home in time for The Neighborhood, a funny show. Nothing else on after that so we usually leave it on Bob loves Abishola, which isn’t as good. But last night the characters were at a Nigerian Christian church service. Later Bob asked what her religion was. She replied Christian. Later C watched a Lifetime movie. The parents were played by former young adult stars Parker Stevenson (Melrose Place) and Pamela Sue Martin (Dynasty). Also The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, respectively.
 
Wasn’t feeling well. Joints ached. Arm hurt from the shot. Went to bed. Slept okay but was hot. Got up to turn down thermostat (from 64 to 63) and took a pill. Slept until 630. Good thing traffic was light. Plenty of work to keep me busy today. Right now its just me and Rachel from our team, though boss Rodney may arrive later.
 
Barney not doing good. Still hobbles and can’t put weight on his back leg. Sleeps downstairs. Another problem with his rear end. He lays around most of the time but goes into the kitchen when C cooks, hoping for scraps. Lays down under the table during meals for the same reason.
 
 
Rant: teaching is hard. I get it. If you didn't know that, just log onto social media and you'll see ten teachers talking about how rough it is. If they hate it so much why don't they quit? Well let me tell you sister, life in the business world ain't no bed of roses either. Plenty of pressure, making forecasts, working through problem orders, dealing with irate customers and ignorant vendors, delivering on time without quality issues, reading people, communicating, negotiating, covering costs, making money, producing products for Americans (like teachers) can buy. Mess up or don't make plan and I could get fired. Some do. No such thing as tenure or a union. That's why they call it the real world. We don't take summers off or two weeks at Christmas. We can't promote our problems to the next grade to get rid of them. And you don't see a lot of businesspeople all worn out and complaining at the end of the long day.
 
 
The cruel underbelly not only of social media but also internet in general. Part of the problem: websites look to see what headline generates the most web clicks. This article was posted on the internet with one headline, and printed in a magazine with another.
 
 
McKinnon’s Louisiana Kitchen used to advertise in the Falcons program back in the 70’s. Seems like the 57th Fighter Group always advertised somewhere as well.

No comments: