Sunday, July 04, 2021

July 3 Peachtree Road Race

Anna, Will, and I ran the Peachtree Road Race on July 3 this year, and it turned out to be quite a different experience. We somehow all landed in time group B this year, so we got to start the race together - at the unbelievably early time of 6:40 am. I barely got my number pinned on before the start.

Bellwood Coffee recently opened a location at 1776 Peachtree,
near the old Mellow Mushroom corner.
Willis and Joel Norman pulled out a cart to the curb,
near the four mile mark of the race. 

After dropping us off near the start,
Mary-Clayton and Okie watched the race from Bellwood.
Anna got sprinkled with holy water from the priest at the Cathedral of St. Philip, across from Second-Ponce de Leon near the two mile mark. Only four people were watching from SPdL, two couples I didn't know.  
Will was the first to arrive at Bellwood Coffee,
and Okie greeted him. 
Anna was next to arrive at Bellwood. Note how spread out and few in number the runners were this year, both Saturday and Sunday, due to the ten minute gap between time groups.
Will hung out with Joel, the longest,
waiting until after Anna and I had left.  
Finally I arrived at Bellwood, and stopped to chat and pose for pictures. Note again the spread out runners.

Becky Norman was watching from Bellwood as well,
so I got to chat with her. I took off from Bellwood first. Later Anna hopped back in the race, and still later finally Will. Anna caught up with me just past Colony Square, and we made the turn onto Tenth together, and ran together under the photo bridge. Then she sprinted off to the finish. Not long after that Will caught up with me, and we finished together for the first time in years.
More on the Peachtree in the days to follow.

No comments: