Thursday, July 22, 2021

Xolos de Gwinnett

Johnny and Kevin goaded me into heading out to Gwinnett for Thursday night's game. Weeknight games are more fun than crowded Saturday night games. On Thursdays the Stripers rebrand themselves as the Xolos de Gwinnett. 

Johnny landed a luxury suite in an auction and brought daughters, kids, and friends. Had my first nice long chat with my old pal Hugh (bottom left), whose wife passed away last year. 
Also befriended another of Johnny's friends, a 65 year old retiree who'd spent time at Clairemont Baptist and Doraville's Sequoia High before moving north. We had a good long chat while waiting for the gates to open. Tonight's Mike Soroka bobblehead was the first in a Stripers uniform.
It was my first game back at CoolRay Field since they'd built the apartments in left field, providing a more intimate setting.


I used to love to stay to the end of games. If it's a special game, a playoff, or a Tech game, Falcons or Hawks, I'll stay to the end. I just go to so many regular season Braves and Stripers games – and get there when the gates open. Yesterday I arrived at The Battery before 5 pm, entered the ballpark at 5:38 – an hour and 40 minutes before first pitch. So I was there for 4-1/2 hours. Plus I'm going to four games this week. Those are my excuses!

Another excuse – that terrible Braves bullpen. Throwing all those balls out of the strike zone, and the walks makes the end of the game take longer. But you are right – especially for the Braves regular season games, I'm there for the experience more than the game. Any other team though, and I'm in it until the end. I used to like to hang around a bit after the game even. Ceil wasn't happy this morning when she saw me leaving with another Braves outfit for today's game. She's headed out of town tomorrow, and I've been gone every night this week.

Exception: I do make every effort to stay until both teams at least collect one base hit. I don't want to miss a no-hitter or perfect game. Back on Labor Day a few years ago at Turner Field I hadn't planned on staying long, then Cole Hamels threw a no-hitter for the Phillies. I stayed to the end of that one!

Last weekend Anna went to the Atlanta United game with two friends. Supposedly it's fun, but I'm not in any hurry to go to a soccer game.

Last night I was reminded – I need to join the Johnson Ferry adult choir so I can sing the national anthem at the Braves game. Seems like either the JFBC adults or teens or kids are singing the anthem every year. Last night the anthem was sung by the Delta Airlines men's chorus. Monday night the anthem was sung by a soloist.

Monday: left work shortly after five. Gassed up at RaceTrac. Arrived at my 6:15 focus group early, tasting cream of chicken soup. Left there around 6:45 and headed to the ballpark. Saw a couple of friends were there, so I invited them down to my seat. No ice cream until first pitch. Then they put the tarp back on the field. I went to the team store, but since the game was postponed I couldn't use the money on the tickets. Got home around 9:15.

Tuesday: sat in a meeting until about 4 pm. We had Chickfila for lunch, with three folks from Chicago. Found out I had the Braves tickets, and snuck out shortly thereafter. Made it to the ballpark over 30 minutes before the parking lot opened, so I did something bad – went through the Steak & Shake drive-thru. Parked at 5:38 and made it inside shortly thereafter. Got in the long line for the team store again, and bought a long sleeve t-shirt (Wednesday I traded it for something else).

Saw Norman and Darrell and Newman, then Kevin and Michael came and sat with me. Sampled the ice cream. Stayed through seven innings, then headed home. Attended Wednesday's 5:40 game, and probably tomorrow's Stripers game. Let me know if you want to go to either.

Pederson's bunt was great. Did he do it again Wednesday? Tuesday we were talking about how the pitch he bunted was high and inside, and he still placed it perfectly down the third base line. Pretty sure Freddie has gone oppo against the shift a time or two. Last night's home run went opposite field, into the opposing bullpen. True story: right before he hit it I had told my friend "Freddie's due." Freddie hit the home run and the dad in front of us credited me.

Between innings Tuesday I saw where someone had won the 2022 Masters ticket lottery. I hadn't received an email saying I'd won, so I mentioned how I'd lost out again. The dad in front of me started checking to see if he'd received a notification. He hadn't.

There were a few Dominican ballplayers sitting behind us in red team shirts. When I mentioned how I liked their red team turf shoes, they said they liked my sneakers as well.

Saw my buddy Howard Evans on Monday and Wednesday. His front row seat gets him in the background of shots of third base coach Ron Washington.
Pujols is good. Probably too much money owed for the Braves to make a run. Since then Panda Sandoval has slumped.

Denison: Giannis Antetokounmpo and his Milwaukee Bucks defeated the Phoenix Suns to win the NBA Championship. Giannis was named the Finals MVP; he has been named regular-season MVP twice before as well as Defensive Player of the Year. The son of impoverished Nigerian immigrants to Greece, his life changed dramatically as a youth under the influence of a Greek Orthodox priest. When he was named the NBA's Most Valuable Player in 2019, he began his acceptance speech by thanking God and stating, "Everything I do, I do through him." His life motto is biblical: "'Walk by faith, not by sight.' I believe this is the right attitude to life for everyone."

An interesting test determines how creative a person is. Once I figured out the test I scored as more creative than 90% of others. I scored 86.54. Average score is 78. Most people score between 74 and 82. you can take the test right here. The Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern developed a multiple-choice test that measures personality traits, attitudes, values, motivations, and interests that can also show creativity. You can find it here.

No comments: