Friday, August 04, 2023

My First Eagle?

Thursday was my work anniversary – 36 years. Steveo mentioned it in the morning meeting (odd, as he usually only mentions the 5-10-15 etc year anniversaries). I missed the meeting, as I played golf and was late arriving.

Not a memorable round, though I hit a few good shots. But on the first hole I hit a decent drive. Not the furthest ever, though it stayed on the fairway. I’d teed off at 6:35, so there wasn’t the most light, plus I usually can’t see where my ball goes. I also lose balls in the high grass and woods (lost about ten this morning, more than usual). Because of this I oftentimes don’t check to see exactly what kind of ball I’m hitting.

Then I hit my second shot, a 6 iron. Hit it well, not perfect but pretty good. Wasn’t sure where it went. Didn’t hear it land or hit anything. Walked up to the green, looking for the ball as I went. Looked behind the green. This was a rare morning with hardly any dew on the ground, so there was no path where the ball rolled across the green. Couldn’t find the ball. When this happens (more times than I’d like) for fun I check the hole. The ball was there. Had I must made an eagle ???

Since I made the eagle, I might as well commemorate my round. As usual, when I play alone I lose more balls.

1. Hit two tee shots. First in the fairway. Second in the rough. Hit the ball from the rough and lost in the woods. Then the eagle. Can’t tell my playing partner about it because I’d told him I probably couldn’t play during the week.

2. Flubbed one tee shot. Mulligan sailed left. Didn’t find that ball. Two chips. Neither stayed on the green. Chipped back. Double, so I was at even par after two holes. Not for long.

3. I saw speed golfer Chastain rapidly gaining on me, so I hit my tee shot(s) and waited to let him play through. Hit four balls – all right. Never found two of them. Two chips and two putts. “Double”.

4. Decent 7 iron faded left, but pin high. Two chips, neither great. Several putts on the impossible green. “Double”

5. Hit two tee shots – both left into the woods. Thought I hit a nice chip, but never found the ball. Decent mulligan that just rolled off the back of the green. Chip. Two putt. “Double”.

6. Flubbed tee shot into the left rough. Better mulligan, but also left. Didn’t carry the rough – so two straight lost balls. Not a great hybrid. Good 9 iron to back fringe. Two poor chips. Two putt. “Double”.

7. Sliced two drives onto the 8th fairway. Okay 5 iron back to the 7th fairway. Okay 6 iron. Four poor chips. Two putt. “Triple”.

8. Good drive. Hit two wedges, both to the left fringe. Great lag putt. “Par”.

9. Hit a good low 3 wood off the tee. Got a decent roll. Good low pitch to the back fringe. Good lag putt, but I missed the bogey putt. Double. At least I went 3 straight holes without losing a ball. Finished at 7:47. Made it to work by 8:35. On the way to work I passed this cool little truck on 285.

TOMMY BROWN  [SABR Bio] is the youngest player to hit a home run in a major league game. He was one of the players who came up during WWII. Brown went deep on 20-Aug-1945, aged a mere 17 years, 257 days old, breaking the record then held by Mel Ott at 18 years and 138 days. Tommy is one of the seven living players who had played for the Dodgers in Brooklyn. He will turn 96 on 06-Dec of this year. The other Trolley Dodgers still with us are Bob Aspromonte, Carl Erskine, Jim Gentile, Fred Kipp, Bobby Morgan, and Sandy Koufax.  Morgan, at 97, is the oldest. Brown once set a record, getting on base in 20 consecutive plate appearances. The streak occurred in the minors in 1958, playing for the AA Nashville Volunteers. In a 3-game series in New Orleans, Brown went 4-for-4, 3-for-3, 3-for-3, and mixed in 6 walks. Then, in his first game in Sulphur Dell, his home ballpark, he walked four more straight times.  Reaching base in 20 consecutive PAs, he set the Southern Association record.

No comments: