Tuesday, August 01, 2023

Ohtani Rocks Truist

Left work shortly after 5 pm. Instead of PIB to 285 to the ballpark I made a right on Spaudling (which runs behind our plant, and took Spaulding all the way across Peachtree Industrial, across Holcomb Bridge through Dunwoody, across 400 and Roswell Road. But a tree was blocking the road and I had to double back down Roswell to Abernathy. Left on Heards Ferry to the 285 access road, across the river to the ballpark. A more shady, less stressful drive in the same amount of time.

But waiting in bumper to bumper traffic to enter the parking lot, my car overheated. I had just had the shop top off the coolants. Not sure if they left a cap off, or it popped off due to the heat. Before we left I poured in some water. Had to drive back to the office (and literally didn’t have to stop the entire way) but no problems the entire way home.

Walked through the crowded Battery before the game. Arrived at our seats just before first pitch. An official from the Japanese Embassy threw out the first pitch. Another had the "play ball!" duties. Would've been cool had he said it in Japanese. Plenty of Asian Americans in attendance to see Ohtani. He did not disappoint. Hit by pitch, walk, two singles. Then in his last at bat with two on hit a deep fly to straightaway center. The ball cleared the fence – but was snagged at the last moment by Braves centerfielder Michael Harris.

No Mike Trout, which was a disappointment to all American American baseball fans. At least the Angels fans were not obnoxious like Met and Phillie fans. And Yankee and Red Sox and Dodger fans. Plenty of fans wearing Ohtani jerseys from Japan, which were cool. I wore my knockoff red Dale Murphy late 70’s era BP jersey. Saw several similar jerseys.

One Braves reliever who came in and threw 3 straight balls. Was driving me crazy.

Got home at 11 pm, and bed not long thereafter. Should’ve set my alarm, as I slept too late to go to the gym. The heat had worn me out.

Matt Olson’s home run came during the RaceTrac home run inning, but evidently, I didn’t save the correct ticket bar code, so I’m not able to cash in my five dollar prize today.

As a minor leaguer in AA Rome, Freddie Freeman was banned from doing the "worm".

The handrails in Truist Park were provided by my company in Norcross. Also those in Mercedes Benz Stadium, Sanford Stadium, SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles, and several other venues across the nation. 

No comments: