Friday, August 11, 2023

PFHOF: Inner Circle?

Deion Sanders proposed an “upper room” to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, for only the very best players. This article suggests who should be in the inner circle. Seems like a lot of names. A good start would be those top players listed in the book The 0irst 50 Years. Here’s mine, off the top of my head…

QB: Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, Norm Van Brocklin, Otto Graham

RB: Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders Red Grange Red Grange Gale Sayers, Bronko Nagurski, Joe Perry, Hugh McElhenny, Marion Motley, Steve Van Buren

WR: Don Hutson, Jerry Rice, Raymond Berry, Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson Elroy Hirsh, Lenny Moore, Lance Alworth Larry Fitzgerald

C: Jim Otto, Chuck Bednarik, Mike Webster

G: Gene Upshaw Jerry Kramer, Jim Parker, Mel Hein,

T: Art Shell, John Hannah Cal Hubbard, Anthony Munoz, Forrest Gregg, Roosevelt Brown, Jonathan Ogden

TE: Mike Ditka, John Mackey, Kellen Winslow

DL: Randy White, Leo Nomellini, Gino Marchetti, Reggie White, Deacon Jones, Alan Page, Art Donovan, Mean Joe Greene, Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen

LB: Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis, Ted Hendricks, Jack Lambert, Lawrence Taylor

DB: Deion Sanders, Night Train Lane, Emlen Tunnell, Larry Wilson, Mel Blount, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott, Ken Houston, Darrell Green Ed Reed

K/P Lou Groza, Ray Guy Ernie Nevers Ken Strong

Two Way: Dutch Clark, Clarke Hinkle, George McAfee

Coaches: Belichick, Paul Brown, George Halas, Curly Lambeau, Tom Landry, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/heres-a-proposed-deion-sanders-upper-room-to-the-hall-of-fame__;!!AE29DT8V!S6EqRdQQbIQtxQgBoLt7qhD84mZ86Lk4UXOTJkNb4c43mGIv66wy3tzXV97A9odmUCA5fRnVp7mEpOaFIek$

Makes me feel good to be able to figure out things that no one else can figure out. But oftentimes it feels like the other people aren’t making much of an effort. When we go on the new computer system I won’t have the time or resources to figure these things out.

Nice that some people take a break from sitting on their couch and staring at their phones, to go to the gym and stare at their phones. I leave my phone in my car when I go to the gym to lift weights. When I run on the treadmill, I take my phone in so I can listen to my audiobook. But the rest of the time I do stare at my phone plenty. Wednesday there was a guy sitting at a machine staring at his phone. I wanted to use the machine. Hate to ask someone to move. I did 3 sets on 2 other machines before the guy finally moved. Happened again on Friday.

Few people call me on my phone. Its more convenient to use my cell phone at work than my desk phone.

Tuesday: left work after 5:30 and headed to Bad Daddy’s Burger Bar. Always a great burger. I ordered the Smokehouse, which included BBQ brisket, BBQ sauce, and fried onions. Also tomato. Good burger, good bun. Also tater tots. Very good.

C was late coming home from The Table on Delk. I watched Seinfeld until she got home. Forgot to watch the new season 3 of Only Murders in the Building, which is supposed to be good. Later we had the Astros / orioles game on, with jeff Franceur on the mic. Houston hit a 9th inning come from behind grand slam to win.

Up early to lift weights at the gym. Made good time on the way to work, so I stopped by Corner Bakery for a piece of cinnamon cake. All these unusual food stops recently are to cash in birthday deals. More are come, and they’ll stretch out through this month and next.

JIMMIE FOXX [SABR Bio] was the last player to have a season with at least 170 runs batted in. He had 175 RBI in 149 games in 1938. Hint: #1 He was the first player to be honored with the AL Most Valuable Player Award in consecutive seasons, in 1932, 1933. He hit at least 30 home runs each season for 12 consecutive years, from 1929-1940. Totaled 484 during that time.

DENISON: when the storms of life strike, we have four spiritual options.

1: the deist says God created the universe but has no more dealings with it. He does not credit God for good weather, blame him for bad, or appeal for his help with the latter.

2: the skeptic blames God for bad weather and refuses to seek his help when it strikes.

3: the self-reliant Christian turns to God only when the storms come, preferring self-sufficiency otherwise.

4: the holistic Christian trusts God in good weather and in bad, believing God knows best in every circumstance.

No comments: