Tuesday, August 22, 2023

R.I.P. Elizabeth Flack Kennis

Elizabeth Flack Kennis passed away last week, losing her battle with cancer. She’d been one of my favorites from SPdL. Elizabeth was on the first Mighty Mite team I’d coached back in 1979-1980 - the Bullets, with Sharon Langley. Sometimes I'd put five girls out on the court at the same time. (front row: Chad Eaton on the left, Scotto Seydel on the right. Back row: Patricia Starnes, Elizabeth, Wynn Jarboe, Val Goetz, & Scotto's sister).  

Elizabeth had been in the same grade with Lauren Petty, Andrea Irwin, Stacy Head, and JaDon Taylor (below L-R), five Godly young women who stayed in touch over the years, usually spending an annual weekend together at the lake or beach.

Elizabeth graduated from Auburn in 1992 and later ran Elizabeth Interiors in Williamsburg. Married to her husband Paul for 30 years. A son Graham, engaged but not yet married. Daughter Claire. A great kid who had grown into a beautiful Christian woman, wife, and mother. I had just seen Elizabeth in May, at Miriam Taylor’s funeral. She and Andrea and JaDon had discussed another get together.

She passed away with a smile on her face, her family gathered around her. A celebration of life service is Friday in Williamsburg. Elizabeth was 53. Her obituary.

That same year another Mighty Mite team was coached by a young hipster. As Syndrome said in The Incredibles: "This is tooo good!" Looks like the Baumer sisters were on his team. I think number 22 was Jonathan "the mad bomber" Kitchens.

Breaking the first rule of Book Club: finished the Bono autobiography. Also finished “Tuesdays With Morrie” – ever heard about it? Very good. Short. It was made into a movie in the late 90’s (I think) with Jack Lemon playing Morrie. Written by a sportswriter Mitch Albom, about his college professor. Seems to have changed Albom’s life. Catherine Norman is reading “Good For A Girl”, after seeing that I had read it on Goodreads.

Monday: worked until 6 pm. Had to stop by Trader Joes for Ceil. She made a new stir fry ground beef dish. Very good. Later I ate the rest of her peach cobbler, with vanilla ice cream. I played on my laptop while Ceil watched her K drama “Legal High”. I haven’t been paying attention, but it seems to be getting crazy.

Bad news: Anna’s little puppy Goose was still throwing up last night. No update yet today. A&C are supposed to go to the Braves game with us tomorrow night. I just have to make everything about me, don’t I?

Article: Social media is killing young girls.

My adding machine (aka calculator) died recently. It was decades old. Instead of going through red tape to procure another one, I just use the calculator on my phone.

No comments: