Thursday, June 28, 2007

Baseball Feelings

I tried to write that travel ball post from my perspective and beliefs. As a dad I’d love Will to go as far as he wants in baseball, but our family’s emotional/financial/etc. situation is such that we can’t commit the time and resources that’s expected to play the East Cobb baseball lifestyle, like Francoeur & McCann did. Those that do, that’s their choice. Will does have some great opportunities in his Living Science Servant Leader program…the payoff appears greater than pursuing baseball full time.

That last sentence sounds weird to say about a 14 year old, but that’s the reality in East Cobb. Like we said about the lack of African American ballplayers, it’s because baseball in America has become an expensive sport, like golf. This Sunday the AJC reported on the Walton, Dunwoody, and Holy Innocents baseball teams…all their players went straight from school ball to summer travel ball. It might be different if Will could drive, but our top priority isn’t to ferry Will to practices/games five days a week, and have me gone on weekends. But if Will doesn’t do this, it’ll be hard for him to make the team when he can drive.

The whole thing makes me less enthusiastic about youth sports. When I watch the Little League World Series, while TV portrays the boys as innocent youths, most teams practice/play year around, and Williamsport is one tourney of dozens they’ve traveled to. It’s a business! These days whatever a kid is interested in, there’s opportunity to devote all extra time to that pursuit. I liked the old days, when kids could be kids and play outside, etc. The boys on his travel team play football, and you can tell they’re not at the same level with those who play baseball year around. Will would like to play basketball, but timewise it’s a strain to do both.

Society today elevates children to a higher status than previous generations did…equal to parents? Pressure to conform to this frustrates me…it’s hard to ignore in East Cobb. I don’t have time enough to nurture my relationship with Ceil, much less manage a loaded social calendar for three children. I need to spend more alone time with Anna and Matthew as well. That and keep up a house, manage finances, etc. Life is busy for everyone, I know. I’m not the best at handling everything that comes our way…we’re thermometers, not thermostats.

Ceil and I have made choices…home schooling, her staying at home, me steering away from travel. This impacts all areas of family life. I hate to see Will’s baseball opportunities limited, but choices are hard. As a typical male, I know I’m still just skirting the ‘how do I feel’ region.

No comments: