Thursday, June 28, 2007

June 25th Braves / Nats Adventure

Left work at two Monday, and I thought I’d gotten home too early…40 minutes before we were supposed to leave. Ceil had the house looking good, with cookies baked and cokes getting cold. Two moms were there, including Becky. All the boys were outside playing basketball. By the time we painted letters on the boys, took pictures, and loaded the cars, we didn’t leave til 3:45. Anna went to a sleepover, and Matthew was watching Teribithia at the Picture Show. Seemed like we hit every red light, and we didn’t get parked until 4:55. The gates were already open, and there was no line for dollar tickets. The Andruw bats were punier than advertised, not that I had any hopes up.

The boys took up space on the front row in left field for BP. Matt Diaz looked at them and asked what they were supposed to spell…they weren’t in order. Diaz said it was ok, he was dyslexic. The boys got four balls, including two that Will retrieved with his cup-on-a-string device he made (not my idea). It was the first time he had brought it, and it worked well. Will’s friend Preston’s dad Lee had also driven, and we sat several rows back catching up, and saw another little league dad we knew. Lee saw a ball coming that I hadn’t…it landed on our row a couple of seats away and didn’t bounce, so I quickly grabbed it. We had five families represented, so each family got a ball. The practice balls are different from last year’s, which had green wording. I caught a glimpse on the HD screen of someone who looked like Mark Richt, and sure enough, later that’s who threw out the first ball, to catcher Francoeur. Richt’s throw wasn’t as crisp as I’d expected.

After BP we tromped over to the right field upper deck, and probably went up too high. I then painted their backs with other letters, so more words could be spelled. Only then did I realize I’d planned for two boys to each have a T on their back. The boys lined up to spell GO BRAVES, and were showed on the HD just before the game started. They then changed to TIM HUDSON, but that never made the screen. They also spelled JONES, ANDRUW J, EDGAR, and BRIAN M, but the only other word to make the board was THORMAN. It was funny when one or two of them would run to the concession stand, to see the L or US or WE or NY run past. Some people wanted to sit near us, perhaps to get on the screen. Two girls the boys knew came from the lower level to sit with them…the boys enjoyed that a lot. As we were packing up to leave Preston was kind of dancing, and he made the big screen by himself.

Langerhans was the first pinch hitter and got a nice ovation. His average is lower than Andruw’s, and he struck out…you could see the frustration from the upper deck. Interestingly, when the Nats took BP, only the pitchers shagged balls in the outfield. Willie Harris looked good at the bat on and in the field.

Not long ago Ceil and I ate Mexican at a place down on Chattahoochee Avenue, and I ran into an old co-worker I always run into…in the airport, etc. Last night he was at the game, visiting friends in our section.

Later we heard that they actually made the TV broadcast. Had I realized that, I would’ve had them make more names, specific to each batter. During the game they only showed fans between innings, so they just relaxed during the game. Our cars got separated leaving the parking lot, and I got out quicker. I didn’t drive fast, but later Lee called wanting to know if we should stop at the Varsity…as I was passing the Windy Hill exit. Instead I took the two boys home who live near Jim R Miller Park, and Lee took home Spencer. We both made it back around eleven, then I took the Norman boys home.

I always try to keep that Andy Cheating message in my head…it’s easier than some other messages. Years ago I shared that with my old boss before he moved to Orlando, though he knew it wasn’t company policy to agree. The ogre I have to work with these days is a lifer…luckily he’s not my boss (he just loudly asked if I was typing War & Peace). Leaving yesterday at two is part of that cheating mentality, though I know I make up for it when I travel or work late. I used to have a position where I worked 7 – 4, which was nice…some at my old office now work 7:30 – 4:30…but we’re not a big flex time company. Funny…sometimes we run into people like that, with a completely different mentality.

Yesterday when I left our small parking lot was completely full…one guy had to park on the grass. First time.

No comments: