Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bluffton Baseball

The SI piece on the Bluffton U baseball team was heart-wrenching. Nice tidbit in there about Hank Aaron spending time in the hospital room talking to a boy in a coma. Too bad it was buried in that article…it’ll never be read by most people following the Bonds chase. Also a good article on Yao Ming.

I don’t know when / if our small group will meet again. The moms and kids are swimming together at least every other week, and the women celebrated a birthday. Most of the guys got together to watch game one of the NBA finals, and that went well. The Intimate Encounters study our small group was doing is over. Our leader Lee is ready to divide or end the group, but his wife and some of the other women want to keep going. Part of it has to do with difficulties some of the children are going through…three of the families have sons with troubling times…behavioral and medical (not including Matthew!).

There hasn’t been a great dollar movie, though the Sandra Bulloch one looked ok. Ceil took the kids to see Firehouse Dog, and maybe one other one as well. Anna reads the Nancy Drew books, so she was all over the movie. Did you know that actress is Julia Roberts’ niece?

When I fly I’m usually catching up on Sports Illustrated’s. I can’t believe all the people who fly and they just sit there with nothing to do. On the way to Houston I had an empty seat next to me, so I got out my laptop. I have a list of things I want to write about…most from my past. On the SF trip I’ll make sure my crowd brings books, games, iPods, etc. I make sure I have plenty to read and do when I travel. I enjoyed the Astros game, but the next night I would’ve been happy going back to the hotel as opposed to going out to dinner with a coworker. When I woke up Friday, HBO was showing old baseball footage from the 40s and 50s.

One of the ‘new’ guys in our office brings a paper every day, which is nice. Sometimes you miss things just going on ajc.com, particularly other areas besides sports. Other times you’ve already read the article on line.

Good news / bad news…Will’s tourney in Conyers has been cancelled, so no long drives. He doesn’t play one last DH at home instead, on Saturday. I’ve finally been putting in the stats for the travel team for my own fun, and have just a few more to go. After the Sunday game one of the assistant coaches asked me if I’d done the stats…Will has been on his team before I knows I put them together. His son isn’t that bad, though he’s small, and is relegated to rightfield and the bottom of the order…but right now he’s third or fourth in OBP. Even though the competition is tougher, only a few have good numbers.

No comments: