Friday, December 05, 2008

Tech / Miami

Photos I took at the Tech / Miami game. Gene, the guy in the hat, is approaching 80. At Tech he was the editor of the Technique, the school newspaper. Later he was the president of the Yellow Jacket Club, and hung out with the likes of Dodd, Broyles, Jesse Outlar, Furman Bisher, and Taz Anderson.

Randy is the guy with the beer…he’s the one I sometimes mention that lives on Lindbergh near 400, in “The Cosmopolitan”. Used to live in Seattle.

Here’s the email I sent them with the photos…

Andy, here is the information you requested. Nathan, it may be useful to you as well. Gene and Randy…for your files!

Note the wishbone pin on the right side of Gene’s hat…it’s from the mid 1970’s, when Pepper Rogers was the coach. And most of the other pins are older!

Believe it or not, my cap is 25 years old. Doesn’t get out much. Got it across the street from the Varsity when Hickok’s Sporting Goods went out of business. Next time I go to a game with Gene, I’m wearing my rat cap from 1977.

We couldn’t get Randy to stop drinking beer!

Note last photo taken of us arriving late to game, when Gene took a wrong turn (it’s the Ramblin’ Wreck). See Paul Johnson in foreground, turning away in disgust.

No comments: