Monday, August 10, 2009

August 7 8 9 Weekend

Thursday night Ceil and Anna went to the grocery, then were sneaking things into the fridge. I tried not to look, but when Will got home he held up a tube of Pillsbury sweet rolls, saying ‘why do we have these?’ I said ’think about it.’ Later he asked Ceil, in front of me. Friday night I was expecting burgers, but she made BBQ. After dinner Matthew started a charades game, something we never do…but the game lasted for a good while. Then Will insisted we go to the late viewing of Angels & Demons…pretty good.

Saturday I went to Firestone for an oil change, as I had a free coupon to burn. Two tires were completely shot, so I got two new ones. Got a lot more done around the house than usual. Sunday afternoon we took it easy, watching Tiger, then I took A & M to see Night at the Museum. Again, a good flick. Amy Adams is showing up in movie after movie.

Ate Friday lunch at Moes. Thursday it was Firehouse Subs and Baskin Robbins. All free birthday meals…so was the Saturday carwash.

We’re having cable problems, which effects the TV viewing. Even Ceil, the anti-TV person, is complaining. When we returned from vacation, the switch to digital had knocked out all but the local channels. That was all we were paying for, though. Friday Ceil called and got expanded basic for a year at $29.99/month. Remember early on in small group when everyone said they didn’t watch much TV?

Until it gets hooked up, Matthew has been sneaking in more DVDs…the Incredibles, Chicken Little, Finding Nemo, and Harry Potter. He and especially Anna have been devouring HP this summer. Anna is finishing up # 4…she just got it Friday, I think. M had to get a pair of glasses, so he could make some HP videos.

Word is that North Point is looking to add a Gwinnett campus, perhaps southeast of the Mall of Georgia. People probably drive from there to Alpharetta or Cumming…more so than people in Cobb and Cherokee, I guess. I wasn’t at NP to hear Andy talk about Gwinnett. The post-11 am service traffic drives me crazy. This was Ceil and Matthew’s first week to help during the 11 am service. Will went to the service, so Anna and I ran some errands…drinks at QT, Taco Bell, Marshall’s to browse. Found a Russell Martin bobblehead at Goodwill (fittingly, Nomar’s arm was broken off, so I demurred). In the future we’ll take two cars, or I’ll ride home with a friend.

Cox may be a great players manager…I love it when callers say forget chemistry, to bring in malcontents like Manny or Bonds, that Kotchman should’ve been kept instead of LaRoche. But would you agree that Cox sometimes pulls starters too early, and overworks his bullpen? His restraint with starters doesn’t carry over to relievers…why? Often the pitch count is over 100, but Hanson could’ve gone longer Thursday. I know we don’t know all the factors that go into decisions.

Some consider the Dodgers to be superior to the Phillies. Soriano makes two bad pitches in a week, and we lose two games.

Looks more and more like Wren was right about both Smoltz and Glavine. Perhaps we have three good GMs…Wren, Dimettrov, and Sund. Should the Hawks keep Joe Johnson for the long term? Is he worth it? Teams are blamed for making player/financial decisions in their own best interests, and “fans” butcher them for not spending more…often for over-the-hill & injury-prone players…assets not worth the investment (or players too costly to be considered).

Lately there have been UGA stories about Cox haircuts and Jones’ injury…I click on them, thinking it’s a Braves story.

No comments: