Monday, August 03, 2009

Weekend

Friday was month end, and for once I had everything wrapped up by 2 pm. My boss had left early, so I was all set to leave at 5 pm. I knew they were taking a count at our Augusta warehouse, and when I got the count at 3:30 it was a hard-to-understand mess. Was on the phone figuring stuff out until 8:30…then I felt so bad I could hardly drive home. Just sat on the couch and watched “Eagle Eye”, a good movie.

Saturday I was cleaning up, but started feeling bad again. Did everything I could to feel better…meds, eat, sit, close eyes. Got van oil change / car wash, then went back to work from 3 to 6 pm…something wrong with the way that warehouse processes orders. That night Ceil, Anna, and I took the movies back to Wal-Mart, then shopped Target and Borders. Will and Matthew watched School of Rock.

We actually had everyone up and ready to go early Sunday. Took Will to NP Sunday AM, and A and M to our friend Lee’s, where they spent the day. Lee rode with me and Ceil to Anderson SC…my Virginia friend’s mother had died.

The Baptist church had a pot-luck lunch before the funeral, attended by 42. Enjoyed getting to know Dawn’s two brothers…one is a principal at N. Augusta, the other a HS band director near Clemson. Her parents remembered Ceil and Lee…they all hadn’t seen much of each other in over 20 years.

Big crowd at the funeral. She had been in the choir, so they sang. They left an empty chair where she usually sat.

Ceil snickered at a line from the pastor emeritus. When eating at Myron’s mother’s table, he gobbled up her cabbage casserole. Months passed, but when he returned, she remembered to serve it again. The pastor said the casserole “was to die for.” Probably not the best selection of words, at a funeral!

Nice to see cars stop to let the procession drive by. No police stopped traffic, but all cars waited patiently at their green lights as we all passed. For some reason the police car rolled out, and several cars followed…before the hearse & two limos with the families. This meant they were in the middle of the procession, instead of the front. And it stayed like that the whole way.

Graveside service attended by 50. Afterwards we went back to the house for a few minutes, before heading home. 85 south traffic slowed, so we cut across from Pendergrass to Gainesville, across Brown’s Bridge to Cumming, then down 400 to pick up Lee’s daughter at NP.

Again, I was exhausted when we finally got home at 8 pm. Watched a couple of old Newhart episodes on WGN.

So Ceil has been in SC the last four weekends.

My friend Lee has his old company car on Craig’s List…at a high price. He’s in no hurry to sell. 2007(?) Impala at $10,00.00..the dealer price.

No comments: