Thursday, August 06, 2009

The Latest Dumb Thing I Did

Getting out of my car last night, I then opened the back door to get out a hot pie and a container of ice cream. I then closed the door…and part of my cargo shorts got stuck in the door. My hands were full, so I had to place the pie and ice cream on top of the car. In the process I got apple pie on my new white shirt. Couldn’t pull my shorts out, because a button was on the inside of the door. I don’t have a remote lock, so I had to dig in my stuck shorts for my keys, reach to unlock the front door, then reach further around to unlock the back door. All the while I was hoping my friends weren’t looking out the window laughing at me. Then I had to juggle the hot pie and ice cream to ring the doorbell. Finally I just let myself in.

The umpire guy was there again, Jim. Last week he was on a business trip to Milwaukee. I asked if he went to a Brewers game, and he sighed “No, I couldn’t get any of those dull programmers to go with me.” Like me, he’s been to games by himself…just this time he didn’t. When his umpire son turns 18 in a couple of years, they will try to go umpire 12 year olds at Cooperstown for a week. A team will sponsor them and pay their way. He said lots of umps sign up to go, so it’s almost like a lottery.

An old small group member, Kelly, had a short novel published and on Amazon. She just got a deal to write a book on the Amish, for some reason. She is from western Pennsylvania, near the Amish country. She and Staci would probably hit it off (or hate each other!)…they have a lot in common. Her husband Scott is a sports nut.

Did break out the red Puma court shoes last night. Recently I bought another pair of deeper red Pumas. These were more running shoes than court shoes. Decided I need another pair of “running on the beach” shoes, some running shoes that I can get messed up. My old pair are getting pretty nasty and tearing up, from all the Living Science Expeditions and ball field maintenance. My old New Balance shoes have too much suede, and wouldn’t be good wet.

White and navy shoes usually look great. I also like white with red, but they stand out a little more, so I hesitate wearing them to as many places. The older I get, the more I pick comfort over good looks. I save my good-looking uncomfortable shoes for when I know I won’t be standing/walking much, like going to a movie or playing cards. Around the house I’ve just about got to wear comfortable shoes, to make it through the day.

But I’m not that crazy about these new dark red Pumas, so I’ll let Will have them. They’re the color of his new fall baseball team, and they’re the type shoe he can wear in warm-ups. Hopefully that team won’t continue wearing white shoes, as they have in the past. Since I know the coach, and he wants me to help, I think I’ll make some uniform suggestions, since that’s an area of expertise. He’s come up with some ugly ones these past few years.

So many fields now post signs for players to only wear spikes during games. One old sign at MBHS was missing letters, and read “On Deck Batter must s_ay on _ _ _ _ _” So all the Prowlers dutifully said “on” before batting.

The Ogre figured out why we’re having so many inventory problems…a computer glitch. He is going to Augusta this afternoon, to take another inventory tomorrow. Customer is about to explode. A full day of emergencies yesterday, and already a few are cooking up this morning. Yesterday I did polish up a useful spreadsheet, which made me feel good. Now I have two more spreadsheets to clean up, and I’ll be sitting pretty. Knocked out one today!

As fun as the guys card night was last night, part of me just wanted to stay home.

No comments: