Monday, February 04, 2013

Super Sunday

Anna wasn’t feeling well, so she stayed home from the Hurt’s Super Bowl party. Also absent were Bruce, Mary Hubert, Talaat Tadros and family, Bob and Myra, and young Jere Goldsmith’s family. College students Haley Hurt, Lila and Preston Toholsky, Will Murphy, Kevin Brock, Lydia Stephens, Rocky Butler’s kids, and the Norman boys weren’t there either…the only kids in attendance were Matthew, Margaret Hurt, Emily Hanson, and Marshal Toholsky, so no one went downstairs. Us people who went had a good time: Mark and Leah Stephens, Dan and Karen Toholsky, Rocky Butler and wife, Becky Norman, Jim Ewing, Jimmy Ewing and his pregnant bride, and Jim’s granddaughter Nora and her father Will.

As usual, with Hurts served catered BBQ pork, ribs, and chicken. People brought three kinds of dip, pigs-in-a-blanket, three salads, a casserole, green beans, corn, slaw, cupcakes, and brownies. Didn’t see much of the game or commercials. Karen mentioned with delight swapping Christmas letters. It reminded me that my letter to the Toholskys had been returned, and Dan gave me their new Woodstock address. Ceil and Matthew left at halftime, as did the Ewing clan. The rest of us left when the Superdome lights went out. It was the earliest end to the party in as long as I could remember.  

Earlier I finally read a good chunk of my new book, The Presidents Club. It’s about how ex-presidents relate with each other, and help the current President. Kinda droll but informative. Learned a lot about Hoover and Truman. Now I’m in the Eisenhower section.

Saturday morning I cleaned upstairs all morning. After it warmed up I took the van over to Tire Deals to get the new wheel I’d bought put on the car. Also had to buy two tires for the front. At least I won’t have to go out twice a week and fill the tire with air any more. On the way home I stopped by Publix, and filled up the tank with gas. Watched the Phoenix Open. Later I drove Ceil to Trader Joes to get wine for her chicken recipe. I’ll be eating those leftovers for lunch. After supper I paid bills, balanced the checkbook, and worked on my computer.

Tonight the MLB Network is showing “Eight Men Out”. Costas is interviewing the director and Jon Cusack, who played the third baseman on the Black Sox.

Busy…a co worker has been out all week with the flu!

No comments: