Saturday, February 13, 2016

What a Week

Wedding and rehearsal dinner invitations (above).
Monday: Ceilings and floors and walls torn up in the house. Three cars needing repairs. Lost the TV remote and my wallet. And a jacket is missing. Now this: left work at six and drive to the shop. Will’s Jeep is repaired, but I need to pick up the keys under the mat in the unlocked Jeep. It’s after 6:30 but fortunately the shop is still open, so I drive in and hop out of Anna’s Jeep. The guy will pull her Jeep into the garage in case it rains, since the window is stuck down. We won’t have to make an extra trip.


I grab my briefcase and drive home in Will’s Jeep. Pull into my garage and gather my stuff to go inside. That’s when I realize: my glasses are still in Anna’s Jeep. Whenever I drive I take off my glasses since they’re not needed.


No problem – my old prescriptions can serve as my backup pair. Now where are those things? Not in my sock drawer. Are they at work? Nope. I left them in a place where they’d be handy whether I needed them at work or home. In my car. Unfortunately my car is also in the shop. In Athens. No glasses.


After supper (taco salad) Ceil encouraged me to run up to the dollar store for a pair of cheaters. Good idea. Checking out frames in the mirror reminded me how bad I needed a haircut. So at 8:30 I drove across the parking lot to my barber shop, where my stylist Denise was working. Got scalped pretty good. Back home I worked on the computer. The cheaters work ok, but not great. I look like the grandfather on Modern Family, Ed Harris.


Tuesday: I hate the cold. Another after work trip to Cumming for me. I was going to make some stops but didn’t since I  misplaced my wallet again. Not sure if I’m losing my mind or what. Also misplaced the TV remote on Saturday so yesterday Ceil picked up a new one at the Comcast store.


There had been talk of icy road conditions in places like Flowery Branch (which is east of Cumming) but I had no problems. There was traces of snow in Cumming. Got home at 7:30 in time for Jeopardy. Then Ceil watched Fixer Upper. There was a little snow on the ground on Holcomb Bridge and in the parking lot at work.


Wednesday: Hot Stove meeting. One of the old men from Forsyth county had attended game 7 of the 1960 world series, and found himself of the telecast of the game. We watched the last three innings. Everyone told where they were when the game was being played – most were in school, many listening. I was 14 months old at home in Macon.Thursday: Worked past seven. Crazy busy day but I got a big attaboy from the big boss. I also shook things up and got projects moving even though I was in two conference calls and an hour long meeting. Moved some mountains. Not sure if any of my admonitions will be completely heard and understood. Some of the same things were happening after our meeting. Not that I’m the model employee myself.


Traffic was light going home so I made it in time to watch Jeopardy. But at eight I had to change clothes and go pick up M. He’d been downtown for a service project. On the way home M and I stopped by a thrift store, got gas, and stopped by Kroger. Thursday afternoon Ceil had gone from Sandy Springs to Kennesaw to get her driver’s license renewed, and was late with supper: eggs and hash browns. I ate an egg but passed on the potatoes.


Bought another pair of shoes: royal blue Nike Hyperdunk 2010 with lots of white trim. Look great with my black warm-ups or jeans, but not shorts because I’m too old to wear these high-tops. So far it’s really been a year of shoes. I really need to slow down and sell some. Since I’ve cut out fast food at least I’m not spending more money. In the past 6-7 weeks I’ve added seven pair – more sneakers than I’ll ever need. In order of preference:


Brown leather Arthur Padre lifestyle sneakers
Black/white Nike Zoom Speed TR2
Grey/green Nike LunarGlide 4+
Red Nike Flyknit Lunar 1+
Royal Nike Hyperdunk 2010
White Nike sneakers (sell?)
Black sport turquoise Nike Air Max 2013


I noticed SI.com had Jack McCallum’s revised top 50 greatest NBA players of all time. He had been on the selection committee several years ago when the top 50 was introduced at a NBA all-star game. He removed several players from the original list, including Dominique and Pistol Pete. They also had a Top 20 players from the last 20 years list. ESPN also made up their own list, of the top 100 NBA players. Most of those rankings are erroneous on purpose (LeBron ahead of Magic and Bird?) just so people will click on the link. Perhaps I will compare the SI list to the ESPN list.


Should the Hawks trade Horford? I think he fits in the system better than Blake Griffin. Not sure he is Hawks material.


I’m starting to warm up to Publix after being a Kroger man all these years. Better prices on name brand cereal, with their BOGO’s.. Earlier this week the Stinky Kroger was REALLY living up to its name.


The Disco Kroger is being replaced with a big complex near Peachtree and Piedmont. It will probably be like Tower Place across the street. I don’t mind the living places. The Perimeter Mall area is gridlocked every afternoon and they’re going to add a huge complex there at 400 & Abernathy. Those developers only care about making money and nothing about traffic. Who cares about all the offices sitting vacant? The vacant office buildings are like 20 year old stadiums and domes – ready to be bulldozed and made into something new.


In the Disco Kroger shopping center is a cigar shop. Men go in and hang out and smoke cigars. There are nice chairs and sofas and a big screen TV. The owner is real nice. Ceil goes in and buys his empty cigar boxes, which he sells for $2.00 - $10.00 depending on size. Whenever a woman comes in all the men stop and stare, like their turf is being invaded.

No comments: