Saturday, February 20, 2016

Fine Dining

Tuesday night C and I finally made it to Ruth’s Chris Steak House. Very very good. Was early for our 7 pm reservation but we were seated immediately. Great, attentive service. I wanted the 12 ounce filet, which was on the all in one menu that came with a salad, side, and a turtle cheesecake dessert. I ordered a traditional steak salad with vinaigrette and creamed spinach. Added a side of sweet potato soufflé. Ceil got a stack salad, the 8 ounce filet, and baked potato. She had a glass of wine and I got diet Coke.

When the salads came out she wasn’t thrilled. Her stack looked interesting to me, so we switched. The stack was like cole slaw. OK but not great, but just as good as the salad would’ve been. Freshly baked bread came out but we didn’t finish the loaf. The filets were great, but we both had some to take home. Same with the sweet potato stuff. We finished the spinach. Ceil ate the inside of her potato but left the skin. By the time the small dessert came we were stuff, so we tasted it and took the rest home.

People-watching is always interesting at a place like that. Next to us was a pair of 60 year olds – an American man and Korean lady. On the other side of them was a couple in their late 70’s. They ordered a HUGE steak to share. The server had a hard time picking it up. I’m sure they had plenty to take home. Unlike a few others yahoos, we stayed off our phones (99% of the time).  

Wednesday: stopped by Taco Bell for M on the way home. Not much else going on.

Thursday night M wanted me to pick him up later than sooner. I didn’t want to drive home and then make the round trip to Cumming, so I worked until 6:30, then swung by thrift stores in Peachtree Corners, east Roswell, and Roswell. Then I drove up to Cumming and topped off my tank for $1.449 a gallon and picked a few sundries at the Dollar Tree. By the time I picked up M it was too late to go to Fuddruckers, which I didn’t need anyway – a week of two burgers and fries and lasagna and Valentine’s Day apple pie has stalled my diet. Actually I’m just one week / one pound behind on my one pound per week goal. When the weather warms up the pounds will really start falling off, right?

M drove home from Cumming, opting to not stop and get something to eat. When we got home I goofed off researching the ESPN top 100 list. While Ceil is out of town I’m trying to clean out my emails and read all the articles I had saved to read, but I didn’t make much progress on that. I did check out the Crackers tickets. The $49.00 ticket for sale on eBay ended this morning without being sold. I’ll research to see what prices some may have sold for and get our auctions going tonight.       

I sit near lunch planner Renee. When she asked our little group if we should have Dreamland BBQ for our Friday lunch meeting (today), I vigorously shook my head in agreement before anyone else could say anything. Then yesterday afternoon when GM Eric hinted that lunch might be Dreamland I confessed that I had made the call. I’ll stay away from the macaroni and cheese and banana pudding. This morning I passed on the bagels, and yesterday I passed on the sandwiches and potato salad.

The ESPN top 100 list has a lot of good info on each player: stats, championships, and interesting facts about each one. For instance:

Mark Price was the only player in NBA history to shoot 40% from the three point line AND 90% from the free throw line in his career.

Pete Maravich once scored 68 points in a game, the most ever for a guard (since passed by Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant). Pete did it without benefit of the three point shot, which wasn’t instituted until his final NBA season – when he made 67% of his threes.

GT: seems like the opposition always steps it up at the end of games, and GT falters. How many years has Gregory been here? The big question: has GT finished paying off Hewett?

The AJC made a big deal about all the payouts UGA had to make when Richt was fired, not mentioning (1) they cried the loudest for his ouster, and (2) every other college in the country is doing the same thing – like Georgia Tech. Paying off college coaches is part of the system as a whole. Nobody said the system was perfect. Comparatively, UGA got off cheap.  

Basketball: I always liked Clifford Ray. He always wore the knee high socks plus knee pads, a look I liked. I’m sure I looked ridiculous in 9th and 10th grade with my knee pads, since I couldn’t play a lick (in college I got respectable). Church league versus seniors and juniors. I think we lost every game.

No comments: