Friday, January 18, 2019

Super Bowl Stories

More on the Super Bowl: attending parties definitely takes away from being about to soak in all the intricacies of the game. You even miss commercials.
 
Years ago I used to love to watch the pregame show: the features, the chatter. CBS had Brent, Phyllis, Irv Cross, Jimmy the Greek. These days I like the Sunday night NBC pregame: Dan Patrick, Tony Dungy, Chris Collinsworth, Al Michaels. The current Fox crew isn’t too bad: Bradshaw, Jimmy Johnson, Howie Long, Michael Strahan. But I rarely watch the pregame any more. Nowadays I don’t get home from church until after the game starts.
 
Now the Super Bowl pregame is several hours long. It’s like a red carpet show. Fun if I can watch it, but that’s rare. If I’m headed to a party I miss it. If I’m watching at home I’m usually doing something so I can watch the game later.
 
In early 1996 I ate lunch with Lang on the Thursday before the Super Bowl (Cowboys/Steelers). L was the SPdL youth director. With one small child and another on the way, I had recently retired from youth work. But L said “hey, we’re leaving on our Disney trip tomorrow afternoon – you ought to come.” I did, and had a great time.
 
Left work Friday afternoon, drove to SPdL, rode the bus to Orlando, got a couple hours sleep, Disney, hotel, then Epcot on Super Bowl Sunday. That’s the day Melanie Sheffield and I figured out we were related (her dad’s sister is Elizabeth Brooks, whose husband Charlie’s uncle Bill was also my uncle, married to my mom’s sister). Around 6:30 we boarded the busses and headed back to Atlanta. Completely missed the Super Bowl. At SPdL on Monday morning I got in my car and drove to work. Luckily back then my office was out overlooking the plant. I went out there and took a nap.

Above: the metal sign we put on the restroom door is starting to rust. This door isn't far from the double doors to the back dock, which isn't airtight.
 
Thursday: worked until almost 6:30 last night. Stopped by the AT&T store. Salesman doesn’t listen to what I need, just tries to sell. Made it home by 7:45. Ceil was off at a meeting. Watched Seinfeld. Went to bed around 9:45.
 
Sales meeting at lunch today: BBQ, Brunswick stew, apple cobbler. I’ll try to skip the mac & cheese. This morning the boss brought in apple fritters. I ate one, since I hadn’t had much breakfast – and this morning I weighed less than I had in a long time. Seven down, 43 to go.

No comments: