Monday, January 21, 2019

Martin & Martin

Having recently missed out on a second chance to see Steve Martin and Martin Short live on stage, I intend to be more vigilant and diligent in tracking them down sometime in the future. They’ll perform in Orlando later this year, but that’s the closest they’ll be to Atlanta. Then yesterday they were on the cover of Parade Magazine, which I forgot to steal from my parent’s house. Strike three. So I looked it up online and stumbled across more than I bargained for…  
 
Bizarre story: In 1990 Steve Martin and Chevy Chase joined up with the Richmond Christmas Parade while being filmed for Paul Simon’s “Proof” music video (above), from Simon’s Rhythm of the Saints album.
 
 
 
Parade had links to three articles: yesterday’s plus two on their guest appearances on the Tonight Show.
 
 
 
 
Another busy weekend for me. Worked past six Friday afternoon. Bought some warmup pants on the way home. Ceil had cooked turkey meatballs with gluten free cracker filling, plus brown rice spaghetti noodles. Also tossed salad. Matthew ate with us. C had new Hallmark movies to watch both Friday and Saturday night, so I played on my laptop both nights.
 
Saturday morning I got out the door early and over to SunTrust Park for Chop Fest. Met Will in the plaza. For the most part the rain held off. We were the second pair to get out on the soggy field to play catch. I was wearing two shirts plus a sweater so I worked up at sweat. Then down into the third base dugout batting cage. Bench coach Walt Weiss and reliever Jesse Biddle were there. Will took a few swings in the cage. When he came out Weiss asked him about his baseball career.
 
Next we went down to the SunTrust Club. Shook hands with legendary usher Walter Banks. Told him his July 5 bobblehead day was Will’s birthday. Will and I ate a snack of pastries, then hustled across the street for the unveiling of new uniforms. Huge crowd at the sports bar. Afterward we went back to the SunTrust Club for lunch. Will ate wings. I ate one, plus some salad and cheesecake tarts. People were out on the field in the pouring rain. Not too much else to do, so we headed home.
 
While it was fun to see the “new” uniforms (actually just slight changes), right now I’m not that fired up about going to a lot of Braves games this year, not even for the bobbleheads. Josh Donaldson will be the only new bobble. The others are repeats: Albies, Acuna, Dansby, and Freeman.
 
Left SunTrust and headed up Cobb Parkway. Got my emissions tested, checked out three thrift stores and one Dollar Tree, and stopped by the library. Got home and Ceil wanted me to drive her to IKEA. Pouring rain, so traffic was terrible. Made six stops, so it was almost eight when we got home. I’d been gone all day. I hated being out in the cold and wet both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday since we were down there I suggested we eat at Jalisco, but C wanted to get back.  
 
Since we sleep upstairs, at night we can turn down the thermostat to 62 and still be warm at night. Sunday morning I knew the thermostat was on 62 but the heater kept running and running. I went downstairs and it was freezing. We hadn’t closed on of the garage doors, and the wind had blown the door to the outside wide open. Luckily no critters had come in.
 
Sunday I woke up earlier than usual and drove down to Macon. Had to gas up and get a Taco Bell breakfast burrito. Finished setting up a new phone for my mom, then went over to the AT&T Store to get it activated. Stayed at my parents until almost seven. Missed the NFC game but got home just in time to see the exciting last five minutes of the AFC game. Fixed a PB&J for supper.

Also: yesterday Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence and several of his teammates attended Passion City Church. Ceil baked several loathes of bread, some wheat and some with cinnamon. She also cleaned out her closet and several cupboards and drawers in the kitchen. She’s been watching a popular show on Netflix where a young Japanese lady goes into an American home and helps them organize and get rid of what doesn’t bring them joy. The Japanese lady doesn’t speak English, but has an interpreter.  
 
Down another pound. Worked out this morning. I am trying to eat slower, and take small bites. Today at lunch I did skip the mac & cheese but was full with two items remaining on my plate. I stopped eating.
 
Last week two people told me they only ate one meal a day. One at work, one at church. Not sure if that’s the healthiest, but if I’m not hungry and there’s no meal, I’m not going out of my way to eat. I’m trying to eat smaller portions. My stomach is starting to shrink, and I’m trying to not stretch it out any more. Salads I can eat on and if I don’t finish, that’s ok.   
 
Busy Monday as well: small group this afternoon, followed by a focus group at Home Depot.

No comments: