Saturday, June 29, 2019

#UniWatch20

Attended tonight's local 20th anniversary celebration for Uni Watch.
Similar parties were taking place in several cities all around the world.
Hairston (above left) designed the Ramblin Wreck t-shirt he's wearing.
He graduated from Tech in 1983.
Our event featured a series of musical acts, including The Relics,
who played several songs from their recently released EP (above).
Former Distant Replays owner Andy Hyman (on drums) brought his buddies, who played their first gig.
Andy now works for Ebbets Field Flannels, the company who revolutionized throwback jerseys and cap industry.
His buddy also used to work at the store.
Knowing Andy and other uniform experts would be in attendance, I knew I couldn't wear any of my knockoff Braves jerseys.  My grey road jersey and navy Heyward jersey are legit but not noteworthy. Instead I opted for my Dominique-era Hawks jersey. First chance I had to wear my Braves socks, which were a hit. My Greenville Braves cap also created buzz..
Event organizer Jason did a great job, filling time between musical acts by asking uniform-related questions. He also wore an interesting outfit. Andy donated several nice prizes from Ebbets Field Flannels.
Outfit of the night belonged to this Grant Park resident:
a polyester USA uniforms complete with stirrups.
 Jason (or someone) decorated the Fajita Valley restaurant with several nice jerseys. Usually I'm not a fan of white shoes with high dark socks,
but Dansby has made it look good.
Plus I didn't have a perfect pair of black shoes to wear.
Below: Andy's photo of Jason's jacket.
Can't wait to see the official photos of the event.
 Andy made a point to getting a photo of my "stirrups."
I knew a decent amount of Jason's trivia questions, but tried not to hog all the answers. If nobody was coming up with the answer I would chime in. Jerry Glanville was the Falcons coach who told the ref that NFL stood for Not For Long if he didn't improve his calls, George Plimpton's number in Paper Lion was zero, Spider Lockhart's number with the New York Giants was 43, and that the Bears had the most retired numbers. That Paul Brown invented the modern version of the face mask, and the team whose fans sand Luv Ya Blue was the Oilers.

The prizes were unannounced and won at random: I came away with two of the nicer prizes, including this well made 1961 Kansas City Katz cap. Also an Army Navy calendar, a Bears gumball helmet, a White Sox gumball helmet, beef jerky samples, and some Texas Rangers baseball cards.

No comments: