Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Filling Up the Tank

By 4 pm on Friday afternoons, after a long work week the brain isn’t working a peak efficiency. I was focused on knocking out a few more tasks to end the week on a good note. Then I got hit with three tough non-customer related problems. One was extra hard. They messed up the tags and the work order and tried to fix it and made it worse. If I didn’t get it done right then than all the managers in North Carolina were going to have heart attacks first thing Monday morning. Fixed the cost then fixed the tags, and everything came out right. Then got the other two problems solved before quitting time. Just didn’t get my own work done.
 
Got gas on the way home. Might’ve made another stop. Ceil cooked a late dinner. Afterwards I drove out to get zero-octane gas for the mower, that hadn’t been starting for me all week. Only certain stations have the special gas. QT was out of all gas. RaceTrac across the street didn’t have it. Drove from East Cobb to West Roswell to another QT. The trip took over an hour. Watched the US Open.
 
Anna arrived home later Friday evening. I think I went to bed before the big Braves comeback. Saturday morning I did some cleaning up. Took M’s Jeep to get the oil changed. Some people ask why I get the cars maintained instead of letting the kids do it, and it’s because I want to make sure it gets done, and make sure I learn about any other potential problems the vehicle might have. Ceil and Anna ran some errands. Later Christian arrived and they went grocery shopping.
 
I gassed up the mower and it started on the first pull. Must be the fresh gas. Cut the grass and blew the drive. Later I watched the US Open. Also MASH. Later the Braves. Missed see Sean newcomb get hit in the head with a line drive. Did dishes and folded clothes.
 
C and A&C prepared supper: Mexican pulled chicken, grass fed ground beef, peach salsa, cheese, chips, guacamole, tortillia shells, refried beans, rice. W&MC were playing golf and didn’t arrive until 8:45. MC had to get home to bake a cake. Did the dishes. A&C watched the movie Get Smart. M was looking for a movie to watch but couldn’t find anything on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon. I was pointing out some classics, like Tootsie.
Wasn’t sure what A&C were doing on Sunday. Turned out they cooked breakfast: French toast, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit. A&C joined us at Sunday School and church. We divided into groups, and Christian impressed with several insights. Big group of friends in the service: Clark Davie, Danny Downing, Shane from GT, three Hall’s, four Cho’s, four Earharts, four Murphys. 
 
C was going to cook a chicken for lunch but since it was already 1 pm I suggested leftovers. A&C ate with us. After that we still had two containers of leftovers. Braves and US Open. A&C read. I caught up on some computer stuff. C cooked the chicken for supper, with rice pilaf and tossed salad. Around 8 pm Anna headed back to Athens and Christian back to Snellville.       
 
Monday: Ceil went to a friend’s birthday dinner at Pizzeria Lucca. I left work about 5:45 and drove straight home, because I was hungry. You’ll never guess what I fixed: fish tacos. I was digging through the fridge looking for leftovers and found the breaded fish strips Matthew had cooked late last week. I had already drug out the panini press to cook the soft taco shells, and added cheese and sauce. Very good.  Washed it down with a Coke Zero so the caffeine would offset my fish allergy. I could feel a slight throat swelling the rest of the night, but nothing too bad.
 
Last night I was working on an essay about the Pro Football Hall of Fame. What they don’t tell you is that everywhere the term “pro football” is used, what they really mean is “NFL.” All rival leagues don’t count, and are bugs to be crushed. Also watched two episodes each of Modern Family and The Neighborhood, then flipped it over to the Braves game just as it started to rain. I’m supposed to go to tonight’s game with David Hurt and daughter Haley. Organized by Haley. So if they lose you will know why – though they won last week when I went.
 
Looks like Brian McCann had got his hitting stroke back from years ago. In an age when everyone’s trying to pull the ball and hit home runs or strike out, the veteran catcher has gone back to hitting to all fields, to hit the ball where its pitched.
 
Need to get my right eye checked out. All of a sudden I’m having problems with it. I’ll try to go as soon as I can.
 
Outlook and temperament have a lot to do with how you were raised. Birth order factors in as well. Lots of factors. I remember years ago when the kids were young eating a meal at the Norman’s house. The boys were running around having fun. It was chaos. Steve and Becky were relaxed. I was all tensed up, just waiting for someone to cry or something to break. Saw the same thing with Ceil’s family. Eventually I realized everyone didn’t have the same upbringing as me. I know how I should act, but that doesn’t always make it easy. Still hard for me to relax and enjoy.
 
Not sure if this is an interesting article or not…
 

No comments: