Friday, June 19, 2020

Year of the Black Jersey?

 
The Tennessee Vols will wear black jerseys in one of their football games this fall, then auction them off to benefit Black charities. Expect both UGA and GT to follow suit. Alabama and Clemson will not, but might auction off their regular jerseys. You heard it here first.
Actually so much has to happen that the Vols announcement may have been premature. Much can happen between now and November, with the riots, police, and virus. Might not be football. If Trump wins in November more riots may shut down the country again. Martial Law. You heard it here first.
Today is Juneteenth, the day slaves in Texas learned of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation - two years after the fact. Celebrated ever since, it's an official holiday in all but a few states.  
Song in my head today is “Along Came Jones” by the Platters, performed by young 9th graders Catharine Sanders and Melanie Sheffield in the Camp SPdL talent show back in the day.
Wednesday stopped for ice cream on the way home. Then cut the grass, which took an hour. Then a late supper – a spicy Thai chicken dish. Brought the leftover plain noodles for lunch Thursday and added Chickfila sauce. Hallmark Channel movies. Missed L on ESPN2.
Thursday: watched my company’s quarterly webcast, hosted by the CEO from his basement. I appeared in a short video (5 seconds). Both the GM and VP commented on my appearance. I’ll see if it gets posted on YouTube.
Looks there will be baseball after all, which is good. Wait, maybe not.
In early 2018 I had outpatient hernia operation and ever since I could feel it in my abdomen. Not sure what I did last night but I can really feel it today.
Thursday afternoon Ceil was out picking things up at Costco and Whole Foods. I left work shortly after five. Got gas and drove home. Did my Hinge Health exercises and made ham & cheese quesadillas for supper.  Hallmark Channel and played on my laptop.
Ordered a protective case for my new phone. Phone arrivied today and the case tomorrow.
Finished my Buck O’Neil book. Gotta find another book to read. Wasn’t crazy about Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolf, but might check it out again so I can finish it.
My Sunday School class is blessed with four Godly teachers. Staff member Brian teaches the most, Dan the next most, Joe every now and then, and once in a blue moon Larry will teach. Larry has headed up several ministries throughout his life, and has worked as a pastor as well. Dan’s wife had surgery to remove cancer from her lymph nodes. The surgeon accidentally cut all the way through the vocal chords on one side. Looks like the damage is permanent. She’s got to see the ENT and speech pathologist, and facing lots of therapy. Brian’s father passed away last night. Joe had a pipe burst in his house last week. Larry was the lone white representative on a discussion about racism, with three or four Black women. He said it did not go well.
Today's shoe # 30: some odd old black Chaco Pedshed Gunnisons. Kinda flat. Better with jeans, which I should've worn. And camo for Friday cap day. 

No comments: