Monday, June 29, 2020

Just the Facts

Despite the quarantine, I went to Macon SEVEN TIMES in 3 months. That's the most in the last 40 years. Spent two nights in Macon, the most in over 30 years. So far this year I've used 4 vacation days on trips to Macon.

MAR 2 take mom to lawyer's office.
MAR 4 mom's surgery
MAR 6-7 mom in ICU, spent night with dad
MAR 28-29 move mom, spent nite with dad
APR 2 take mom to doctor
MAY 15 move mom's stuff to 5027
MAY 24 move mom from 5027

I went to Jefferson last week for the first time all year. I'd been cooped up working from home since March and was ready for a change of scenery. My goal was to sneak away to the beach, but that didn't work out. Can you blame a guy for wanting to spend time with his wife?

This past Friday I visited a farm.
This past Saturday is when I had my fall.

My plan was to go to Macon sometime over the July 4 weekend but
(1) I sprained my wrist. Not sure I can do yardwork. Even driving is a chore.
(2) Anna's car died so we
(a) have 2 cars for 3 workers
(b) need to get rid of Anna's old car and
(c) buy another car.
(d) my Corolla needs to go to the shop
(3) not sure when we're getting together for Will's birthday.
(4) grass needs cutting.
(5) natural gas contract expiring.
(6) need to meet with the banker
(7) need to go to the doctor
(8) trying to take off and work on the house before C has to go back to school in a few weeks.
(9) but I will squeeze in a trip to Macon as well.

Pet peeve: people talking about something and getting the facts all wrong. The world we live in. Some people hate it but do the same thing. Probably a lot of factual errors in some of the articles I share.

Steel video: what happens when you put too much metal in the furnace.

Friday morning Rusty drove me to Camden to pick up Joan's car from the shop. Walmart Dollar Tree Wendy's Goodwill then back home. Lots of road construction and detours. Nap. Drove C and her mother to Columbia for a follow up appointment. Hot.
Saturday afternoon before I fell, I helped C clear out some weeds in front of the house. We heard the church bells chime five o'clock. Then C had a visitor while I was visiting with Larry, and when Rusty and Kelly arrived for dinner at 6:30, Ceil's dish had yet to be cooked. A good supper anyway: turkey, tomato pie, asparagus, and salad. Rusty made homemade peach ice cream for dessert.

Man yesterday my left wrist was sore. A definite sprain. Left shoulder also sore. Also a little sore: right wrist and both ankles. Had to load the car carrying things only in my right hand. Took longer to load the car than usual.

Usually when Barney sees us carrying duffle bags and clothes, he knows we're going on a trip. He wants to get out the door and into the car as soon as possible. Sometimes almost an hour early. Yesterday I was able to keep him inside until we were all packed and ready to go.

Left at 10:30. I'd fixed me a cup of the peach ice cream for breakfast. C had to stop at her store in Augusta again, so that added another hour to the trip. While she was shopping I drove through Checkers. The last Sunday's Checker experience hadn't been too bad, aside from the half-melted ice cream cone. This time they were out of burger meat. Got fish sandwich instead. They rang up the wrong amount twice. The fish was hot because they made it for my order, so I had to wait. The fries weren't hot. Got C her McDonalds cheeseburger, fries, and Coca-Cola. Have to look into Coke no longer advertising to Facebook because they aren't limiting hate speech. Is that good, or is free speech being limited?

The trip lasted six hours. Unpacked. M got home from work. He went with C to the grocery, and to pick up tacos for supper. Watched a very good Celebrity Family Feud, with the cast of my favorite show, The Neighborhood. Hilarious.  

Later Anna arrived from Athens. She's spending a couple of days with us. Friday she and Matthew ate supper at El Felix in Alpharetta.

This virus ain't going away any time soon. So much conflicting information in the media. Wear a mask. Don't wear a mask. I'm going to wear a mask when I go out. Really only trying to go out when necessary. Last Monday through Thursday I only left the house twice, for one stop each.

Should the government force citizens to wear a mask? What if people don't? Arrest them? The spike seems to be with the younger generation – especially ages 20-29.  They're the ones going out, and rioting and protesting without masks. Not sure if sports are going to get going this fall or not.  

I'm in no hurry to go back to church either. We will continue to worship online. When discussing racial injustice two weeks ago, Louie Giglio got attacked for saying something he shouldn't have. Last week Passion City Church rebroadcast a Ravi Zacharias sermon. Yesterday PCC rebroadcast a Louie sermon from earlier this year. 

RUBE WADDELL [SABR Bio] is the only pitcher to lead the majors in strikeouts for five consecutive seasons. Led MLB in strikeouts 1903-1907. Randy Johnson matched Waddell's mark, leading the majors 1998-2002. In '98, Johnson did not lead either league, because he traded at the deadline from SEA to HOU. His 213 +169 gave him an MLB-leading 329. Johnson led again in '04. In the modern era, Waddell's record for strikeouts in a single season stood for sixty years. Had 349 Ks in 1904. Sandy Koufax had 382 in 1965. Only two additional pitchers have topped Waddell's mark for a season, even in our strikeout-dominated modern game (Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson). 

Rube threw the first Immaculate Inning in American League history. Immaculate Inning 01-Jul-1902, third inning, the first such in the not-quite-two-year-old AL. Waddell stuck out the Baltimore Orioles' Billy Gilbert, Harry Howell & Jack Cronin on 9 straight pitches.  For good measure, he fanned each one again later in the 6th inning of the same game, but not immaculately. Waddell was the last out of Cy Young's perfect game. Young's perfecto 05-May-1904

Sneaker # 40: my odd FootJoy golf / volleyball shoes. Got them for sale on eBay.
Much more than Ulysses S Grant and Francis Scott Key, Charles Darwin used racism as evidence of his theory of evolution. Will statues of Darwin be torn down? Will his theories be rejected? Doubtful. 


In Tennessee a political party kicked a 26 year state legislator off the ballot because he was against abortion.   

No comments: