Monday, June 15, 2020

The Rat Section

 
Ran across a photo of Eddie Lee Ivery from the 1977 game against Duke. There's a good chance I was in the photo, sitting in the "Rat Section" in the old wooden bleachers in front of the permanent east stands at Grant Field. Back then freshman (aka rats) were required to sit in the bleachers. As the Tech band was finishing their pregame show, after playing the Star Spangled Banner they'd march toward the northeast corner of the field to form the top of a large T. Upperclassmen would chant "RATS ON THE FIELD! RATS ON THE FIELD! All of us freshmen would run out through the gate to form the lower section of the T – a tunnel for the players to run through.

I have no memory of what I wore to those games, aside from my gold Tech rat cap. I don't remember owning any Tech gear at the time, so I guess I just wore my regular clothes. Back then I only owned one jacket, my orange high school letterman's jacket.
Not much special over the weekend. Friday night we had leftovers of the breaded chicken and potato wedges. 

Saturday morning Ceil went back to the YMCA for the first time. Lots of precautions in place. I slept late then cleaned upstairs until 11:30  Lunch quesadillas, laundry, dishes, spread a little pine straw. C was cleaning upstairs. I ran an errand and stopped by three thrift stores and Dollar Tree. Bought a pair of Under Armour shorts.

Ceil had worked hard all day so I drove her to Sandy Springs for Thai takeout. Then Whole Foods. Later on that night I watched episode three of Holy Moly.

Good online Sunday School class. Also a good online discussion at Passion City Church between Louie, Christian musician Lecrae Moore, and Chickfila CEO Dan Cathy. Dr Bernice King was supposed to join in but had hurt her back the night before.
Cathy said several Chickfila stores had been vandalized. The number was 7 or 12, I think. One was the CFA next to the College Football Hall of Fame.

Stopped at one store in Roswell, and ran inside because it was raining. I took my mask and put it on before going inside. Then I drove to a second store, hopped out of my car, and went inside. I was shopping, waiting on a clerk to help me, and realized I had forgotten my mask. First time. Looked around and not many were wearing masks. Great. Third store I wore my mask. Checked out a pair of sneakers, but the saleslady talked me out of buying them.

Around six I started trimming hedges despite hearing distant thunder. Got about 25% finished when it started raining. Ceil left for a ladies dinner. I looked for a movie to watch and settled on The American President, the 1995 Michael Douglas film.

This morning my weight was down lower than its been all year, lower than many years.

Got my work email in box down to six items. I use my in box as a to do list. Once I get that task done I move the email somewhere else. Three of the six emails are things I'm waiting on. I'm in the office every day this week, so I'll knock out some of my work shoes. Pair #26 are my newer Ecco loafers. Wore them for the first time in Will's wedding.   

All this flag stuff and riots and CHAZ and everything else has me in a funk as well. I need to stay off social media.

Fun fact: Phil Niekro won 318 games in the majors, and ranks 5th all-time in games started - but only started one game before his 28th birthday.
A good Denison post about Reese Witherspoon professing in a Hollywood interview how, unlike some others, her Christian experience growing up was overwhelmingly positive, filled with acceptance.

BOB MOOSE  [SABR Bio] his wild pitch in the ninth inning of the deciding game of a league championship series gave the pennant to his opponents. WP to Hal McRae in G 5 of the 1972 NLCS allowed George Foster to score putting CIN into the World Series, dethroning his own team from the status won the previous fall. Three years after paying to watch an opener, he was getting paid to watch an opener in the same stadium. Moose, who had grown up just a half-hour's drive from Forbes Field, completed a promise he made a friend while watching PIT's Opening Day game in 1965.  Moose explained, "Our high school principal said anybody could be excused from classes if we had tickets for the PIT opener.  I quickly bought two and treated my best friend."  Moose told his buddy that afternoon that one day he'd be wearing a Pirates uniform — which he did as a late September call-up in 1967 and as a member of Pittsburgh's Opening Day bullpen in 1968. In the 61-year history of Forbes Field, a no-hitter was never recorded there.  He came the closest on Flag Day one year. On 14-June-1968, 20-year old rookie Moose went 7⅔ innings for PIT before surrendering a hit to HOU's Julio Gotay.
Evangelical pastors and Black Lives Matter

No comments: