Monday, June 08, 2020

A House Divided

 I hate those stupid "house divided" license plates: "ok look at us, how can we put up with each other." Saw one that was half Alabama half Kennesaw, those great rivals. Making a mockery of Abraham Lincoln's famous words.  
 
No wonder the country is divided down the middle. Why elections are split 50/50. There are two sets of media spinning the same stories two different ways, one for the left and one for the right. There was tear gas. There was no tear gas. One side tells a story the other side tries to hide, or spin a different way. Questions are being asked that have already been answered - but ignored. People exposed to only one of these voices is blind to the other. Both sides are surely biased, but which is more biased? Who to trust? Who to believe? There is a great evil at work here, a secret story that's not being reported. I don't want to be deceived. I don't want people I love to be deceived. Have I said that before?


Don't want to sound like Woody Harrelson's crazed talk radio DJ broadcasting from his RV on the top of a remote mountain in the movie 2012, but the powers that be do want a divided country. When I type in a topic on Google the algorithms give me a different answer than a liberal person would get asking the same question.
 
Good example of why saying black lives matter is appropriate these days, as opposed to all lives matter: the shepherd in the Bible left the 99 sheep to find the one lost sheep.
 
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell admitted the league was wrong to discourage protests, yet many refused to accept the apology and reversal of policy. What more do they want him to do? I get that people are mad. Like Tony Dungy said we need to have a dialog with listening. No one is listening.    
 
Or perhaps some of us aren’t in position to hear. We may have come a long way, but we've got so very far to go. This article may make you uncomfortable (it did me) but it’s one of the best I’ve read so far.
 

One former Clemson player took to social media to call out Dabo's response when a player was playing music with explicit lyrics when a visitor was being given a tour. Many more players came to Dabo's defense, telling the former player they knew he was just trying to create a firestorm where there was none.  
 
 
Weekend: worked from home on Friday. Supper was chicken breaded with crushed up pretzels. Tossed salad and baked potato pieces.
 
Got good sleep Friday night. What that really meant was that I fell back asleep in the morning and slept soundly for a while longer. Cleaned upstairs and didn’t go downstairs til 11:30 am. C fixed an eggy boy. Laundry and dishes. Folded clothes but not much else. Quesadillas for lunch and later still popcorn. Kept email boxes clean. Hallmark Channel movie and laptop. M was hanging around so we both listen to Lang’s #IMHO from this week.  Supper was a cheesy Italian pasta dish with chicken sausage.
 
Sunday met friends at the bend in the river for a 3-1/2 mile walk on the new Chattahoochee Nature Center boardwalk. Very nice and picturesque. Then on line JFBC Sunday School and Passion City Church service. JFBC reopened their services but we stayed home. Lunch was quesadillas and supper was Thai, homemade by Ceil. Forgot to take a picture of it.
 
On weekends I usually don’t have much to post on my blog, so I sometimes post pictures I’d saved from the week or anything else I had left over. Posted my ten preachers on Saturday and thought Sunday I would post Anna’s comments on racism. Started writing a preamble and kept writing during the PCC service. Added the PCC sermon notes that I typed as I listened. Afterwards I polished the 850 word essay. Thought enough of it to post on Twitter, though I don’t have much of a following there. Not perfect – there’s still some things I’d change but figure now I’ll leave it as is.
Later I cut the grass. Went old school and drove to Kroger to rent a Redbox movie (we had a gift code to use). A Hidden Life, about a husband taken from his family and imprisoned for refusing to fight in the war for Germany, and his wife trying to keep the farm going. Not much dialog. Dark.
Former Falcon defensive end John Zook passed away. Recorded the first safety in team history. My mother’s favorite player, as I recall. Also former Bengal DB Ken Riley (#4 all-time interceptions) and Steelers DL Dwight White.
 
Did you know: President John Tyler was born in 1790 when George Washington was president. Tyler served as president 1841-1845. He has two living grandsons. Not great grandsons or great great grandsons, but just grandsons. So three generations of Tyler's span the country’s entire existence.
 
Also recently the last remaining recipient of a Civil War veteran’s pension passed away in North Carolina. The vet was 80 when his daughter was born, after marrying a 36 year old. The daughter was 90 when she died.
 
 
Infielders who have hit what are now called Ultimate Grand Slams. These are grand slams hit in the bottom of the ninth or later with the home team down by 3 runs and with two outs.
 
Infielder........Pos.Team..Date       Off              Of
Bell.................3B.TEX..31Aug-84.Pete Ladd MIL
Connor...........1B.TRO..10Sep-81.Lee Richmond WOR
Del Crandall…C..MLN..11Sep-55.Herm Wehmeier PHI*
Bo Diaz...........C..PHI...13Apr-83.Neil Allen NYM
Hoiles..............C..BAL..17May-96.Norm Charlton SEA*
Roberts...........3B.ARI...27Sep-11.Javy Guerra LAD
Schofield.........SS.CAL..29Aug-86.Willie Hernandez.DET
Alan Trammell.SS.DET..21Jun-88.Cecilio Guante.NYY*
 
*3-2 count. Three additional players hit the same 9th-inning grand slam, but with less than 2 outs: Edie Joost (off Satchell Paige); Danny Kravitz (1st career HR) and Tony Taylor.  
 
A timely Denison column, written by Jim's son.
 
Wore my old grey New Balance 993's. I'd sold a newer grey pair. The ultimate dad shoe, though nephew Beau tells me they were quite popular with the frat boys. I think young Josh at work wears them.

No comments: