Monday, June 22, 2020

R.I.P. Sundance

Former Dolphins running back Jim Kiick passed away yesterday.
He was 73.
In my early teens Kiick became one of my favorites. I could identify with a slow, hard-nosed running back who could block and catch passes. I liked the way he wore his socks and taped his shoes, as well as his facemask and mustache. As a high school junior I was able to snag his number 21, and ever since have worn it whenever possible. 
Kiick met Csonka in Chicago at the old College All Star Game. 
 Kiick was Sundance to Larry Csonka's Butch Cassidy.
Spent a good chunk of Friday getting my new phone set up. Still can't get my work email to work on my phone. My many many contacts have yet to move over. For awhile I thought I'd lost them on my old phone, but they finally reappeared. Picked up Moxie Burger chicken sandwich takeout.
Saturday I cleaned up upstairs and did laundry tried to take it easy. For lunch I was going to make my usual quesadillas but we were out of the shells. Instead I made BBQ chicken nachos – very good.
Anna and Matthew joined us for dinner. The burgers Ceil cooked were the flatter Smash Burger-type burgers, per Matthew's request. I used an English muffin for the bun. C chopped and baked French fried potatoes and made an apple oatmeal crisp dish for dessert, with vanilla ice cream.

Will has been busy at the hospital. He's two thirds through a three week stretch where he's been working almost every day.   
Sunday: packed the car and drove to Jefferson. Long stop in Augusta so Ceil could shop at her Final Cut store. She found several silver spoons and bought them. Later she discovered they were engraved with the phrase "I Love you Idiot"! No wonder it was on sale. 
While C shopped I drove through Checkers for lunch. They were advertising a strawberry swirl ice cream cone, but the lady handed me a droopy cone that would quickly melt if I didn't gobble it down fast.  The checkerburgers were okay but the buns tasteless. Then I stopped for gas, then drove through McDonalds to get Ceil a plain hamburger, fries, and Coke. Then called my dad and texted with Anna. Finally C got through with her shopping.

Watched the Heritage golf tournament. Supper was ground beef quesadillas. We eat so much chicken that the beef was a nice change. Later I watched the ESPYs, which is always full of social justice stories. Instead of standing out this year it just blended in with everything all other media has been reporting. Nice to see Kevin Love's story about speaking out for mental illness.  

Finally got my phone completely set up this morning. Still have to add in several apps for various restaurants, etc. Ceil is taking her mom to her dermatologist appointment in Columbia today. I have the house all to myself. Tuned in to your man Cowherd so it wouldn't be silent in the house. Had to shut down and reboot my laptop because the wi-fi was so slow. Had to turn off the wi-fi radio. Got tired of ESPN talking about the same thing for five straight hours.

CURTIS GRANDERSON [BR Bio] the one-time Dodger and Brewer is the only man to receive the Marvin Miller Man of the Year Award more than twice - won the Miller Award in 2009, 20162018 & 2019. He is the only player to have more than 20 home runs, 20 stolen bases, 20 triples and 20 doubles in one season since the Deadball Era. Had 23 HR, 26 SB, 23 3B & 38 2B in 2007 w/DET. In 1911, Frank "Wildfire" Schulte , the NL's first-ever MVP, amassed 21 HR, 23 SB, 21 3B & 30 2B with CHC. Willie Mays and Jimmy Rollins each came within 1 triple of being included in this list. He has one of the best smiles in baseball - Smile

Players who have hit at least 75 triples in the 21st century.

Player…Triples since 2000
Reyes.......... 131
Crawford......123
Rollins..........115
Ichiro..............96
Granderson….95
Pierre..............94
Fowler.............82

What type blood do you have? Did you read that Those with type A are more likely to get the virus? I can't remember what type blood I have.
#33: in honor of Father's Day yesterday I borrowed some dad shoes. White leather New Balance walking shoes. Made in USA. Standard issue in East Cobb. Don't worry, they're not actually mine.

No comments: