Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Drinking the Kool-Aid

After a long hot exhausting Saturday, after supper I mixed another 32 ounce bottle of Kool-aid. I opened a new box of orange mix. Didn’t realize it was an “energy” drink with 20 grams of caffeine. Didn’t get much sleep. Every now and then I’ll buy a 12 pack of soft drinks at Kroger. Colas don’t taste as good to me as they used to, except perhaps with a burger or Mexican food. More often I like the citrusy taste of Mountain Dew. Easy to mix with my Kool-aid. I would buy the Kroger brand called citrus drop, or better the more caffeinated citrus drop extreme, but for some reason Kroger can’t keep it on the shelves. Hopefully it’s not a permanent thing. But it might be good if they did discontinue it, so I wouldn’t drink it.
 
Then Murphy’s Law in reverse: when I went to the bank at lunch, it was in a Kroger shopping center. Went inside the Kroger to look and sure enough I found my citrus drop extreme. Bought two 12 packs. It has caffeine. Not sure how much. They taste so good! I never acquired the taste for wine or beer or most any other alcohol. I know a little wine can be good for you. Even coffee can be good for you they say. But man soft drinks sure taste good. I do drink 90% less soft drinks than I used to.   
 
As I do most mornings, yesterday before leaving for work I fixed my 32 ounce bottle of Kool-Aid, this time with just one packet of the orange energy mix. At lunch I was dumb enough to pour in 12 ounces of my Kroger mountain dew. Once again I couldn’t sleep, though I did have a stressful day. No more orange energy drink for me, unless I’m driving on a trip.
 
Root beer is great. Love the taste, and the smell. Last week I started reviewing a list of one hundred soft drinks from worst for you to “least worse.” I’ve only looked at the worst 40 so far. Not sure if the list included my diet drinks or not.

Sometimes I daydream about traveling back in time to an earlier time in my life. Would be interesting to think what I might tell a younger version of myself.  Stephen King’s novel “11/22/63” features two of my favorite topics. The main character travels back in time to stop the Kennedy Assassination. The time portal only goes to 1958, so Jake must live in the past for five years – and falls in love with young Sadie. Great book. Not violent. Hulu made it into a miniseries starring James Franco. The book is better.
Can you believe the Hawks traded Doncic for Trae Young? Trae is a great player, an all star, perhaps the next Steph Curry. But Doncic could become one of the all-time greats, better than Dirk, in the class of Magic, Bird, and Kobe. I saw replays of Doncic’s shot. Just think if Doncic was a Hawk! I thought the Sixers were an up and coming team but now I’m not sure. Of course things are hard this year.
 
Braves take two of three from Philly. Friday night blowout and Saturday night comeback walkoff. They almost came back Sunday night on ESPN. Freddie hit one in the gap. Dansby scampered around from first with the tying run, but was tagged out in a close play to end the game. The Braves challenged, claiming the catcher blocked the plate without the ball. The call went Philly’s way. Braves are in first place, four games over .500 with only one starting pitcher – and Albies, Acuna, and Markakis out the past two weeks.
Friday might I picked up chicken sandwiches from Moxie Burger. At Moxie the chicken is better than the burgers, which are excellent. Saturday Anna and I went through the Chickfila drive thru for lunch. Anna came over for dinner. I picked up a large pizza at Pizzeria Lucca on the Roswell Square. Sunday night Ceil made taco salad (below).
M worked Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday. The last two nights went later.   
 
Worked past six yesterday. Drove home but arrived too late to cut the grass. M had made a grocery run. Supper was homemade Mexican, with homemade refried beans, shredded chicken, rice, grilled onions and peppers, cheese, and homemade salsa. I fixed one burrito. Was almost nine after cleanup.

Ceil turned on a Hallmark rerun. I was ordering something on my laptop when I learned Herschel Walker was speaking at the convention. Got my earbuds and tuned in on my phone. After Ceil went to bed I changed the channel to the convention, while continuing my laptop work. It was getting late and no Herschel. Checked my phone to discover he’d been one of the first speakers. Found his speech and listened, then read some of the reactions.

No comments: