Friday, August 28, 2020

Sweet Home Alabama

 

Today Ceil went to a lake in northeast Alabama, with the ladies and children from The Table on Delk ministry.
 
I was kind of blue this morning, but God used two different people to encourage me - one in Charleston and another in Charlotte. Unfortunately I had to work on a Charlotte / Charleston problem all day, instead of my regular work that won’t go away. Also today a film crew came to the office to tape something for the city of Peachtree Corners. I was not involved, to my knowledge. Plenty to do with month end looming on Monday.
 
Yesterday I left at 5 pm and drove straight home. Cut the grass, which took an hour. Covered 2.1 miles. Need to replant some of the creeping grass, taking some overgrowth from the front to the back. Supper: grits and an eggy boy.
New fridge got postponed to Sunday. Not really confident that it will deliver then. We’ll see. Actually it will probably deliver right when we’re trying to watch church or Sunday School.
 
Not much else to report. Watch any games last night? Guess they all got cancelled so the teams could watch the President’s speech. NFL practices are cancelled in protest, but athletes still posed for photos. I guess that’s okay.

Got a care package of stamps last week. I had already gone through it two times. Ceil picked through them as well. Then I packed them all up with my work stuff. Monday morning I dumped all my stuff on my desk and ever since I’ve been organizing bit by bit. Finally got out the package again and went through it. I was able to remove the backing from all the cancelled stamps So now I can paste them in my scrapbook calendar. Good stuff.

During tonight's Braves telecast, while discussing Jackie Robinson Day, Jeff Francoeur quoted from Romans chapter twelve.  
 
SHERM LOLLAR [SABR Bio] won the first-ever Gold Glove awarded to a catcher. First awarded in 1957, Gold Gloves were first awarded for all of MLB, not for each league. .Lollar also won it the next two seasons for the AL after the selection criteria was broadened to honor defensive standouts from each league at all positions. A player pinch-hitting for him hit the first World Series pinch-hit home run. In the third inning of G 3 of the 1947 WS, a young Lawrence Berra replaced Lollar and proceeded to take Ralph Branca deep, knocking Branca out of the game. BRO won that G, but NYY took the Series.  It was the first of 12 World Series home runs for Berra, behind only the totals of Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth. Earlier this year, CBS Sports named him the best catcher in the history of his primary franchise. Writer Matt Snyder of CBS Sports named the All-time Chicago White Sox team, leading off with Lollar at the catcher position.
 
Dropped a vitamin and it landed on its edge.

No comments: