Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Redskins No More

So the Redskins new name is the Commanders, announced this morning. Atrocious new uniforms. Predictably all black and all white sets like the Falcons and Jaguars and Eagles and Cardinals and Panthers, and all team color burgundy like other teams wear head to toe team colors – Texans, Jets, Patriots, Rams, Seahawks, Vikings, Titans, blah blah blah. 

There are a few things to like. The helmets are okay. Facemasks blend in with the helmet. The W on the front of the black helmet is a look that should've been trotted out ages ago. Stripes on the jerseys are a plus. Patches on the black jerseys are a decent substitute for stripes. Not a fan of the huge team name on the front, but I like the lines above and below the names on the back of the black jersey. Hate the number font and lack of stripes on the pants.

The Commanders look more like college uniforms than NFL. Someone said that looked like the American Alliance uniforms, like the Atlanta Legends. They messed up the years they won championships, but that's an easy fix. Somewhere Sammy Baugh is turning over in his grave. Thumbs down.

The Bengals chose to wear their home black jerseys in the Super Bowl. The Rams chose a relatively classic look as well.

Was leaving home for work this morning and realized the temperature was in the 40’s for a change. I’d been thinking this year I would try to golf some weekday mornings, hopefully twice a month. It was a little later start than I would’ve liked, but I steered my car down to Candler Park. Arrived just before 8 am. Let a regular go off ahead of me, then poked along after him. The wind was blowing a little more than I’d expected, but I was plenty warm. Hit some good and more bad. But man I am having a hard time seeing where the ball is going. Still I only lost one ball, on a tricky shot where the chances of success weren’t high.

Made it to the office by ten. Things are so crazy that missing two hours of craziness really doesn’t mean much. I’m having to cut my material on five machines spread out around metro Atlanta – and four of them are broken. When one or two are broken I can work around that, but four broken machines is a killer.

Monday night on the way to small group I got the McDonalds Chickfila-style sandwich and Coke Zero for one dollar total. This morning I was down another pound. I really need to crush this diet thing. My pants are already starting to feel loose. Down 12 pounds since New Years. Still a long way to go.

M and C ate fish Monday night while I was at small group. C said she wasn’t crazy about how the fish turned out. She didn’t like Sunday night’s meatballs and rice dish either. I ate the leftovers on Tuesday.

Tuesday: got to my focus group and realized I’d left my wallet at work in my backpack. Made it back to the office but I’m lower on gas than I’d like. Got paid $35 to taste two small Halloween-sized Hersheys sugar free chocolate bars, each less than one inch square. Took less than ten minutes.

Shivonne and MC were hanging out at our house yesterday while their car is in the shop. I worked past six last night. M drove C to her ministry and took MC and Shiv home. I fixed myself a quesadilla. I’m eating less than I used to, or trying to anyway. Watched Jeopardy and that terrible new car show.

WHITEY FORD  [SABR Bio] is the only pitcher to give up multiple All-Star game home runs to the same batter. Willie Mays homered off Ford in the 4th inning of the 1956 ASG & leading off the 3rd inning in the second ASG of 1960. Ford had 1,200+ plate appearances in his 16 year career, during which he managed 175+ hits, nineteen doubles, and he scored ninety-one times. Never, however, did he hit a triple. He also had 69 RBI, but nary a triple. His record. No other pitcher was on the losing end of more World Series games, in 1953, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1962, 1963, 1963 & 1964. He also won 10 WS games.

No comments: