Friday, February 11, 2022

Riding the Lincoln Highway

In the novel “The Lincoln Highway” Sally explains why she takes the time to make strawberry preserves. The last sentence stuck with me.

“I do it because it's unnecessary. For what is kindness but the performance that is beneficial to another and unrequired?  There is no kindness in paying a bill. There is no kindness in getting up at dawn to slop the pigs, or milk the cows, or gather the eggs from the henhouse.  For that matter, there is no kindness in making dinner, or in cleaning the kitchen after your father heads upstairs without so much as a word of thanks. Nope, I said to myself while climbing into bed and switching the light, there is no kindness in any of that. For kindness begins where necessity ends"

https://abreloth.blogspot.com/2022/02/

The real Lincoln Highway runs from Times Square to San Francisco, and features various statues of Abraham Lincoln along the way. Local Boy Scouts along the route raised the money for the statues.

Much to dismay of Paul Lukas, his woke Uni Watch blog was forced to publish vintage images of dreaded Milwaukee Braves iconography. Good stuff for us heathens in Braves Country.

https://uni-watch.com/2022/02/10/a-treasure-trove-of-1950s-milwaukee-braves-images/

Decent list of iconic MLB uniforms on ESPN.com. Includes the evil Braves Indian feather uniforms.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33208373/ranking-mlb-all-greatest-uniforms 

Never enough articles on the mud used to take the gloss of MLB baseballs.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/559416/why-new-jersey-mudhole-contains-baseballs-dirtiest-secret

More people are noticing that I have dropped off Facebook. I’m trying to spend as little time on social media as possible, though I still spend too much. Can’t do everything. Need to read more. Trying to narrow my focus so I’m not fed information I’m not interested in. Easier to get news from Twitter. It does mean I miss out on certain things, like when a former coworker’s husband got sick and passed away recently. Later I heard this news from another source.

Most of my real life friends and family are not even on Facebook. For them I have to reach out the old fashioned way, and send my cat memes via email, phone, or text – or visit them in person. I’m trying to do that more, and social media less. I haven’t shut Facebook completely down. I did see that Camp SPdL photo from last week. I still follow some people who post useful articles and information, and some crazy people whose lives are such train wrecks that I can’t help but watch. Drew is not one of the crazy people, but I still see his posts.

Met Rob on Thursday morning for breakfast at the East Cobb J Christophers. I was talking and really didn’t look over the menu, but ordered a egg and spinach and bacon skillet. Very good. Wasn’t as crazy about the taste of the bland biscuit.

Worked until six Thursday night. Ceil had been with Shivonne yesterday, and made homemade pizza for supper. Winnie was exhausted from playing with Okie all day.

Matthew traveled to Smyrna to help break in Caleb’s new kitchen. I see his tortilla press on the counter.

This morning we had pot puck at work. M cooked an apple crisp for me to take. There were sliders, hot dogs, breakfast casseroles, pigs’n blankets, brownies, doughnuts, sausage balls, and more. Not helping with the diet, but I’ll hit it hard on Monday.

REGGIE SMITH  [SABR Bio] was the first player to homer from both sides of the plate in a game in both leagues – four times for Boston and two times for the Cardinals. He got the lone hit in J.R. Richard's one-hitter on 19-Apr-1980. Hint: #2 He now runs an eponymous academy for strengthening baseball skills, the Reggie Smith Academy is in Encino, California.

No comments: