Friday, February 04, 2022

Salad Days


 Jan Klempnauer posted a photo of the 1983 Camp SPdL counselors. Don Head, Leah Knight, Mark Stephens, John Condra, Wayne Smith, Steve Norman, Sarah and Brooks Maddux, Harold Hall, Jane and Tom Weaver, Dolly Craig, Charles Baugh, and Howard Eaton. Maybe Bonnie Shoemaker and Tracy Taylor, and a summer intern. Not sure, but that may have been the year David Hurt had been laid up after his wreck. Those were the salad days.

Just so happened that minutes before the above picture was taken, Kelly Curran and I took the first of several silly photos, a practice that would continue over the next ten years. Ten years later Kelly would visit baby Will and sneak a UGA onesey on him during a too-long diaper change.

Most mornings around the time I am backing out of driveway God usually puts one song or another in my heart and mind. This morning it happened to be “Do Re Me” from Sound of Music, but usually it is a hymn or anthem. Yesterday it was the Chapel Choir anthem with the refrain:

“It’s too glorious to wonderful to know

That you will always be in my heart where ever I go.

In the morning wind and on the raging sea…

You are always watching, loving, guiding me…”

It starts off “Oh Lord you know me, you know my ways…”

But it’s one of those anthems with sheet music that directs you back to the beginning.

If you’re not careful you will sing “You knew my well when I was…”

(and incorrectly turn the page and sing) “…DAY!”

Don Head and I always used to get a big laugh out of that.

Reid: here is a song sung at Frazer Memorial in Montgomery:: We used to sing it in Chapel Choir.

Part The Waters

When I think I'm going under,

Part the waters, Lord.

When I feel the waves around me,

Calm the sea,

When I cry for help, oh, hear me Lord,

And hold out your hand,

Touch my life.

Still the raging storm in me.

Thursday: worked past six again. Got a big project done. Another today. Was after seven before I got home. C had been with Shivonne all day. Winnie went along, and enjoyed looking out the front window at the scene on the street. Last night Winnie was exhausted from playing with Okie all day. Black beans and rice for supper.

MIKE CUELLAR  [SABR Bio] was the first pitcher born outside the United States to win a Cy Young Award. Born in Las Villas or Santa Clara*, Cuba; CYA in 1969 tied w/Denny McLain. Cuellar was the first pitcher to hit a home run in League Championship Series play, in G 1 ALCS 1970. His first Topps card misspelled his name: 1959 Topps card #518 spelled his name “Cueller”.

No comments: