Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Valentine Taco

 

Have a good Valentine’s Day? Ceil was still worn out from our busy weekend, and got a late start on supper. I didn’t leave work until after 5:45. Stopped for gas and a few treats for her: candy, a card, and helium balloon (which freaks Winnie out). I’d already given her a present on Saturday.

M helped C with supper, cooking the smash burgers while she tossed a salad, cut the potatoes, and made the apple pie. I ran back out to Kroger for cheese for the burgers. Saw Jenny Bates at the Kroger. Was nice to hear someone call out “Dave Murphy!”.

Anna and Caleb ordered a heart-shaped taco platter (top) from a place on Cobb Parkway near The Battery. Tacos are Anna's love language.

It was 10 pm by the time we were through with the dishes and I took Winnie outside. C went on to bed. I watched an episode of Young Sheldon.

Our small group has been moved to tonight.

In the South you know someone was raised right if they do these things. Some I had to pick up along the way. All are just being consider of others.

1. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. Or at the very least add “bless your heart” at the end.

2. Send thank-you notes, even in this digital age.

3. Bring food to people when a loved one dies.

4. Give the shirt off your back. When we have more than enough, we should share with those who don’t.

5. Live by the golden rule: do unto others as you’d like others to do to you.

6. Open doors for others.

7. Pull over for funeral processions.

8. Say please and thank-you. Request, don’t threaten or demand.

9. Keep your word.

10. Stand if someone needs the seat more than you.

11. Be a good host, even during surprise visits. Always offer food and beverage..  

12. Speak with respect to others, especially your elders. Use “ma’am” and “sir”.

13. Do not curse around other people.

14. Understand that you aren’t the only person in the world. Respect the space of others.

15. Never start a fight in public, including on social media.

16. Listen. Don’t interrupt. Don’t assume you know what someone is going to say. But when you speak, don’t drone on and on and on. Give people time to respond to what you are saying.

17. Help when others are in need.

18. Be humble.

19. Put your feet in other people’s shoes.

20. When someone comes in the room for the first time, stand to greet them (unless you are a king).

21. My beef: when crossing the street, even though you have the right of way as a pedestrian, be courteous of all the people in cars who are waiting on you. Some people seem to walk slower when they know someone else is waiting for them.

https://www.southernthing.com/raised-right-2655206142.html 

I added 21 my own bad self.  Witnessed it this morning on the way to work. Not sure but these days people are walking around next to traffic with headphones on, oblivious to traffic behind and right next to them.

You ought to see all the disagreeing on social media, even between “friends”. One Christian writer was calling out people for complaining. Shouldn’t that kind of admonishing be done in private? I’ve tried to cut out a bunch of it. Some people change jobs every 6 months. Why? Are they getting better offers/promotions? Are they wearing out their welcome?

Like the Super Bowl halftime show. Not for me, but I’m not their target audience. Doesn’t do me any good to complain. That would just show how out of touch I was. Did I say this yesterday? I heard the halftime performers were 56, 51, and 50. M&M was youngest at 35. I bet there were a bunch of young people wishing they’d have performers younger and more cutting edge than old Snoop, etc. As always, I was just checking out their sneakers.

I have seen that Trump and Hillary have been in the news lately, perhaps about Russia, but I haven’t really heard many of the details. Trying to limit my Biden and Fauci intake as well. Seems like something different comes out about covid every day. Hard to keep up. I got vaccinated and wear my mask where I am supposed to. Same with the MLB lockout and Bob Saget autopsy.

Destin is one of my go-to places to daydream about.

RON REED [Wiki Bio] a one-time White Sox righty, who the Cardinals acquired to replace Bob Gibson in their rotation. On 28-May-1975, STL traded Ray Sadecki and Elias Sosa to ATL for Reed and a player to be named later. ATL sent Wayne Nordhagen to STL to complete the trade. Reed was drafted in the 3rd round, 23rd overall by the NBA’s Detroit Pistons in 1965, but chose baseball after 2 NBA years. He was the winning pitcher of the game where Hank Aaron passed Babe Ruth on the career home run list, on 08-Apr-1974.

No comments: