Friday, March 31, 2023

Reception

After the wedding ceremony Russ instructed the guests to exit out the side, then move to the front of the chapel. I mingled with guests and finally made it over to the other side for pictures.

I stopped by the bar in the front and asked for a Diet Coke. I hadn’t had anything to drink in four hours. The young man said there was no Diet Coke. I was astounded. A detail I should’ve double checked. He asked me to check with the other bartender back over on the other side of the chapel, who really wasn’t opening until mealtime almost an hour later. The young lady there assured me that she could keep me supplied with Diet Coke from the kitchen. She had a regular Coke already poured, so I started with that. The girl kept count with me the rest of the evening. The servers at the tables kept my glass full as well. Later when the young lady ran out of tumblers, she poured the diet Coke in a tall beer glass. Some people thought I was drinking a dark beer. As parched as I was, all those Diet Cokes never tasted so good.

After pictures there was plenty of time to mingle. I visited with the Jefferson crowd, and sat with the Whitakers. I went to the parking lot to retrieve their present from their car.

Later the Chapel doors were opened and guests came inside for the reception. The DJ delivered the mic to me. After everyone was seated, the DJ introduced A&C, who entered from the same front door. They walked in between the table to the back, and broke into their first dance.

Next was Anna’s dance with me. We had chosen a song from the movie You’ve Got Mail: The Cranberries Dream. More upbeat than Roy Orberson’s song of the same name, also in the movie. We hadn’t practiced, and it showed. Early on into our dance Anna thanked me for the wedding. I wasn’t expecting this, and I wanted to cry. She’s thanked me at the perfect moment. The only way this dance could’ve been better was if we had practiced.

Then Caleb took his mother’s hand, and an even more upbeat song started up. They had practiced. Caleb was spinning Mary around and dipping her. They were going to town. The crowd went wild. Later they grabbed Mary’s grandchildren, and they all danced together. It was really something.

Next up: my speech. I’d worked on this for months, working to get every word just right. For this reason I read it off my phone. Some funny. Some sentimental. Got a few big laughs. A big cheer when I mentioned Matthew had made the cake. The girls liked the Taylor Swift bit. Also Two Story and Taqueria. Was the speech perfect? No. Too long. Ceil was out of my field of vision. I’d worked hard to get all the words just right, especially on the last joke.

Will had encouraged me to bless the food. The meal was great: pork tenderloin, a chicken dish, loaded mashed potatoes, lemon broccoli, salad. I wasn’t famished, but the Diet Coke was refreshing. During dinner GiGi’s quiet husband ambled over and whispered in my ear: “if Ceil kicks you out, you can sleep on my couch.” At first I thought it funny, but in fact it was insightful.

After dinner C and A cut the cake, and took pictures with Matthew. The dancing began. I mingled, talking to the Whitakers, Hurts, Watkins, Cushings, Falises, the Jefferson crowd, the Smiths, Becky, Tommy, and others. Most complimented me on my speech. Were they just trying to make me feel good?

Anna and her friends danced. Noelle and Molly got C to dance. The DJ started with the classics, and slowly moved from the 50’s and 60’s to the 70’s and 80’s, eventually to the inevitable hip hop genre. But not too much. I didn’t recall any slow songs. But the DJ did great.

Eventually it was time for guests to move out front for the getaway. Looking back, I’m not sure when the bouquet was tossed, or the garter. I completely missed it.

I made it outside just ahead of A&C, and was handed a sparkler to light. I was near the front steps of the Chapel. As they made their way through the gauntlet of sparklers (stopping for a kiss along the way) I realized it would be good to be near the street to say goodbye. I quickly made my way straight down the same path A&C had just taken, straight through the two lines of sparklers. I was well behind A&C, so I didn’t see myself in any of the photos or videos. I made it to the gate in time to say goodbye.

Caleb helped Anna into the passenger seat of the vintage red pickup. Not sure where they found the getaway car.  Caleb peeled out, heading north on Prince Avenue. Just down the road he turned around, and made a second pass, I suppose on the way to Hotel Indigo, just a few blocks away.

The reception was quite the party. My legs and feet were aching. The guests quickly dispersed. During the reception wonderful Hilton had asked for my keys. He had completely packed our car with everything that was ours. When we went back inside the chapel, cleanup was well under way. We were handed a few final items. C and I trudged to the car, and drive the short distance back to the Airbnb.

Will had arranged for us to meet up with Rusty’s crowd for Sunday breakfast at the legendary Mama’s Boy, famous for long lines on the weekend. That meant we had to check out of both Airbnb’s first. W&MC and Shivonne and Ceil packed up and headed out to the girl’s house. I stayed and made sure our house was empty, and rearranged all the stuff in the Rav4 so the fragile items wouldn’t be crushed.

Then I drove the short distance to the girl’s house in the rain. The bridesmaids were packing and leaving. I was rearranging the Rav4 load again. Picked up a gift basket, but the wrapping fell apart. Two wine glasses broke on the driveway. As W&MC finished packing I was on my hands and knees picking up glass. Cut my hand and foot.

We scored a big table at Mamas Boy: Shivonne on one end, then W&MC, me and C, Ted, Jordan, Kelly, Rusty, Donna, Katherine, and Joe. Oftentimes there’s BBQ at weddings, but not this weekend – so I ordered a breakfast BBQ dish. It was just okay. The Diet Cokes were still refreshing. 

Then downtown to get C coffee, then home. Lots of unpacking, and finally a nap. A&C were already sending updates from the airport. Caleb was added to the family group text. That made it official.

No comments: