Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Wedding Week

I took vacation the week before the wedding, and it was a good thing I did. I was on the go the entire time.

Mon 3/20: run at the gym. Drive down to Buckhead to meet with Anna. We had hit a stressful snag that later turned out to be a non event. Not sure how it finally worked out so well. Hit three Goodwills on the way back. Found a nice blue Masters shirt. Small group.

Tues 3/21: breakfast with Will. Dentist. Drive to Gwinnett for sparklers, then Hobby Lobby, Park Ave, Goodwill, Avalon, Whole Foods. Was dark by the time I got home.

Wed 3/22: run at the gym. Drive east of Athens for flowers. Chickfila. Oil change. Goodwill.

Thur 3/23: AM golf. On the first green I reached down to pick up a ball, and felt my back give out. I gutted out the next eight holes. Later I ran errands, including the bank. Stopped by the St. Ann’s rummage sale. Bought three pairs of socks for $1.50. Up until midnight ironing, pre-packing, etc. M and C eat Moxie.

Fri 3/24: take Winnie to kennel. Pack Rav4 to the gills. Drive through Dunwoody to bakery to pick up spare cakes. Then through Peachtree Corners and Norcross to 85, then 316 to Athens. C hits Taqueria, then a coffee place.

2 pm: unload at the girl’s Airbnb. Wedding coordinator Hilton loads all the wedding stuff in her car. Anna and the bridesmaids arrive, after hanging out in downtown Athens for a few hours.

3 pm: unload at our Airbnb. M works on the cake.

Ten minutes after we’d left East Cobb I realized I had left my rehearsal dinner clothes back at the house. I asked M to bring them, but he forgot. I wore my spare white dress shirt, tan pants, and my fancy brown wing tips I’d been saving for the wedding. No jacket.

4 pm: arrive at the Chapel late for the rehearsal. Afterwards the kids head to Creature Comforts. We drive on to the dinner spot downtown.

5 pm: Cocktail hour followed by dinner. Salmon, shrimp & grits, and a beef dish. Schaefers at one table, us at another (with W&MC and Shivonne, Rusty & Kelly, Phil & Teresa. Dic & Debbie, Victoria, and Katherine & her date Joe). A&C were at the head table with the groomsmen, and bridesmaids. Welcome from John. Blessing by sister Mary Glenn.

After supper John gave a speech, followed by Jack, Maggie, Mary Glenn and her husband, who spoke from the point of view of the outsider joining the family, like Anna was doing. Jack told a great story about young Caleb asking for (and receiving) an old trampoline, which John and Jack helped him carry home across four back yards, taking down fences along the way.

All the speeches were sweet. Then Emily, Ashley, Will, and a few groomsmen spoke. Emily’s speech was particularly poignant, taking us back to middle school. One groomsman had been Caleb’s friend since childhood. Caleb had used his body as a sled. Alex perked everyone up by finishing a statement with the term “crazy shit”. At the end Caleb thanked everyone.

Afterward I ran a joke at Mary’s expense past Jack, Maggie, Caleb, and finally Mary. They all loved it, and encouraged me to include it in my speech. I was learning that the Schaefers were a tight but tough family. Anna was going to fit right in. I also had a sweet chat with Emily and her husband, reminding her of the time she jumped out of the moving car she’s been driving – because a bee had gotten inside.

Caleb’s brother Jack encouraged the groomsmen not to party too hard that night, reminding them there would be plenty of time to party after the wedding. For the most part they would follow these instructions.

Back at the house I stayed up polishing my speech, and pecking out the blessing for the food. I had considering delegating that task, but Will encouraged me to seize the moment. So I did.

A long but good week. The stress at the start of the week had diminished.

No comments: