Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Path to Improvement

What’s your opinion on what path a youth should take to progress in baseball? I’m of the opinion that playing against 13 & 14 year olds when my son was 11 and 12 helped more than anything.

He does need game experience...to a point. Our family is not at a point to commit 15+ hours a week to one sibling’s extracurricular activity. I’m not sure the prize (a spot on a HS roster, a partial scholarship, the MLB draft…all mostly longshots) are worth the time and expense. And I’m not knocked out of my socks by coaches more interested in immediate wins than player development. They think Will is just fine, and dad sees many areas for improvement.

Driving this past weekend my mind was working on an opinion piece, on the relationship between the spoiled athlete and youth activities with large time commitments. How they’re symptoms of today’s society. It’s taking out my frustrations, as well as a response the recent AJC article. You’ll get to read it soon…I might as well post it.

No comments: