Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Too Cold

Thursday night M & A went outside to play in the snow while we watched the BCS. I almost emailed my boss, predicting my two team members would not show, and telling him to call if I needed to come in. Glad I didn’t. Only one didn’t show.

Arranged with my boss to take off Friday, before the weather turned out to be that bad. I was more productive at home than usual, cranking out the last two days of the skit…to the point where I sent it off in this morning. Though I didn’t write a good chunk of it, right now it’s 13,000 words / 36 pages. Usually two thousand words is long for me. Pretty funny, if I say so myself. We’ll see what the “editors” say about it.

Ceil went out once on both Friday and Saturday, but I stayed home. We all made it to church. That was about it for the last three days. I took Anna to Borders around 7:15 Sunday, and looked for you. All she does is read, school, ballet, and chat with friends.

Of course Tech beat Duke. Hard to say that’s anything but good…a confidence builder. But will they / can they play that hard / well against lesser teams? They haven’t so far. That’s what discourages me about basketball & football in general. Today’s athletes don’t play hard all the time…just when they want to. They let up against lesser teams, and it shows. Didn’t seem to happen as much in the old days. The seasons were shorter then. You can’t see the drop-off as much in baseball. Hard playing players…LeBron, MJ, Kobe, Bird, McCale, DJ, Ainge, Nash, Farve, Peyton, Matt Ryan…there are many who play hard, usually the elite athletes do so.

Watching the Hawks/Celtics Friday night, Hubie Brown talked about Mark Price for a while, who was sitting near the Hawks bench. He must not travel with the team…Reid saw him at the Duke game. Sunday I saw Price in the 9 am service. He’s not six feet tall.

Good piece in this week’s scorecard about the guy in charge of the BCS. He’s right…any changes made to the imperfect system wouldn’t perfect it. Even in the NCAA bball tourney, some bubble teams get left out.

Team of Rivals was good, but it was hard to keep in my head who was who, some of the time…perhaps because I was listening to it.

SI picked the Jets, Pats, Packers, and Cowboys…so they went 2-2.

No comments: