Friday, April 03, 2020

Distant Socializing

Had an interesting Thursday. Left home when, at 7:30-ish headed to Milledgeville. Stopped in Covington for Chickfila drive-thru. Fielded several work calls on the way, including our daily team conference call at 8:30 am. Made it to mom’s at 9:40. Met with the staff and left at 10:15. Avoided interstate construction and drove to the doctor. Good visit. 
 
Stopped by the CookOut drive-thru on the way out of town for my usual double burger and shake. Drove back to Milledgeville and dropped mom off. Had to pick up a few items for her at WalMart, which was crowded but people were keeping safe distances for the most part. No I really didn’t want to be there, but someone had to go.   
 
While in Milledgeville I stopped by Georgia Military Academy, the junior college / high school / middle school in the middle of town. I wanted to visit the site of my greatest sports victory – where my 9th grade football team beat the GMC junior varsity 96-0 in 1973. The stadium was just as I remembered, with stands on one side, a school building in one end zone, and a wall around the rest. The place was of course vacant, so I snapped pictures from two different vantage points.
 
On the way home I detoured through downtown Eatonton to see the Uncle Remus Museum. It too was vacant, so I snapped a few pictures from the outside. Joel Chandler Harris was born in Eatonton.
 
Next I stopped at Rock Eagle, a few miles north of Eatonton. No one there either. I’ve been visiting Rock Eagle for almost 50 years, but this was the first time I climbed the old viewing tower all by myself. Took more pictures, then hit the road for home. Eleven hours, 315 miles. Long day.
 
Hopefully now I can stay inside for a while. Need to cut the grass this weekend.   
 
Ceil took Barney with her to Whole Foods. I got back home and it took me 30 minutes to notice Barney wasn’t there. Sometimes he hangs out in the living room, looking out at the street. When he sees Ceil’s car drive up he hops up and runs to the back door to wait for her. If it’s my car, he won’t move.
 
Ceil cooked homemade refried beans, rice, made homemade salsa, and we ate Mexican.  M and C watched more episodes on Bon Appetit Test Kitchen, which is pretty good. There was an episode where all the cooks were each at their own houses, telling how they fix their coffee in the morning. Here’s the link if you want to watch.
 
 
Our fridge and pantry are packed. Got a couple of bags of groceries yet to be unpacked. C went to Costco today. Also Trader Joes, Target, and Pike’s Nursery. She’s going to be the death of me.
 
Anna just said she’s been furloughed from her part-time job at Madewell. Actually she still has her main contract at State the Label.
 
Heard Dr. Vern Hendrix Sr. passed away. Heard anything about Bob and Myra Marsh? Elizabeth McKoy, who I think was in Lang’s Sunday School class at SPdL, is in quarantine after exposure to the virus. She’s a nurse. Talked to Will last night. He’s being careful. Poured concrete for his deck yesterday with “help” from a couple of neighbor boys.  

Looks like the Tiger / Micholson skins game #2 might happen in May, this time for coronavirus charity. Peyton Manning will play with Tiger, and Tom Brady with Phil. Should be fun.
 
A 99 year-old was charged for violating protocols, while attending an engagement party.  
 

No comments: