Monday, November 28, 2005

thanksgiving

Hung around the house all weekend, watching football. Didn’t bother me that GT lost, though it was nice that they played with them the whole game. Is Reggie Ball the Frucal of college quarterbacks? Talented, but flawed. The way he played this year, I suppose no one will unseat him next year. How long will Gailey stick with Travis Bell at kicker? Bell will have the off-season to get back in good graces (have everyone forget how many he’s missed). I love that young UGA kicker, and both punters.

Eating at my brother’s meant I missed the Falcon game, though we watched the end of the Dallas game. Speaking of kickers, Jay Feely had a rough game yesterday. Supposedly he’s had a good year, but it’s got to be tough to kick for a team in NYC.

Got lot’s of sleep yesterday, but I’m still tired from staying up late painting playhouse stuff. Jim was working on his house this weekend, and won’t be back until the 10th. Still more to paint in the meantime. Matthew called me this morning looking for his little game. On the way to work today I noticed he left it in my car last night.

Missed being in Jefferson this weekend…with everyone there, the football in the yard and the paintball/weenie roast, and you know I’m a sucker for all that good food. And I hated that Ceil had to make the drive themselves. But with some good homemade soup and beef stew (and hamburgers and chicken) left over, I wasn’t hurting for food! I only left the house for two short trips, once because we were out of paper towels.

Did get a lot done around the house, getting stuff cleaned up and put up in the attic, organized the coat closet, and got a lot of painting done on the playhouse. Saturday I painted out in the garage until after 8 pm, with lamps out there to help me see. Didn’t quite finish, but it was getting cold. Then I went inside and turned on the game, and painted the boards that I had moved inside. I kept painting until 12:30 am!

I don’t know exactly what the kids had on their lists, but here are some things I had thought of for them, in case they didn’t have good stuff on their lists…
Will…a golf club or two (he’d probably take Ben’s leftovers!), a golf cap (Titleist or Nike), long pants and long-sleeve tee shirts. He did want a Clemson cap. Some of those flip-flops that everyone wears, and/or some Nike “soccer slides” …those sandal things that we wear at the beach…he’ll probably be wearing size 10-1/2 by the time it’s warm again. Hardy Boys books…I can tell you which ones he already has.
Anna…American Girl books, and Boxcar kids books, jeans and warm shirts.
Matthew…I hear Matthew is going to be tough to figure presents for this year…perhaps some games for that thing he plays…is it a color Pixter?

Went to see 'Two For the Money' Tuesday night, with Al Pacino, Renee Russo, and Matthew M. Interesting look into the world of gambling. Don't know if it’s an accurate portrayal or not. Nice shots of Manhattan, but all the football clips of nondescript college and pro teams could have been left out. Matthew plays a nice character, and you think Pacino's character is going to die the entire time. Russo appears to have had a botox treatment, or something.

Should get to the halfway point to my 320 magic number by the end of the week, which is well ahead of the pace I set. I’d said halfway by December 10th, and the 6th is the actual halfway point since I started through year end. I need to keep pushing…yesterday I didn’t make it to a Wendy’s (I should have, as I made a Kroger run). Ceil got one Wendy’s drink, and this morning a coworker had placed three on my desk, so I came out of the holiday weekend about the way I had planned to. I’m also current on cutting out coupons, so I’ll continue sending them in. Late today I’ll check to see if any have posted.

I’ve forgotten to ask my new friends if they’ll be open thanksgiving. In past years I have gone out early, but no shopping this year. Didn’t make it to NP, so I’ll have to listen on-line.

No comments: