Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Late Nights

Aaron played, and was productive, for such a long time. Jones started young and got a fast start, but he sure takes a lot more of a beating in the OF, much more so than Hank. Then Aaron switched to first.

Never thought about how Aaron started at 2B, then RF, then LF, then 1B, then DH. Dale Murphy went from C to 1B to CF (then LF or RF?). Rose went from 2B to 3B to 1B, and OF somewhere along the line. Didn’t Rose set the record for making the All-Star team at the most different positions?

Aaron played for the longest time in right, but I remember sitting in the LF bleachers, behind him, late in his career. Later on in the game they put in Sonny Jackson, and a fan who had come to see Aaron started to really ride Jackson, for no real reason. Then Jackson charged a base hit and threw home, but the throw hit the backstop in the air. The fan didn’t say anything, but as he walked back to his position, Sonny tipped his cap to the stands.

Jackson was mainly an infielder (SS). Now he’s still coaching with Dusty Baker, right?
Two other notable position changes, besides Ruth…Robin Yount (SS to CF) and Craig Biggio (C to 2B…to CF?). I also remember watching Ron Gant come up as a second-baseman.

Stayed up to the end of the Braves game too, after going to see ‘Fun With Dick and Jane’ at the theatre. After the movie I got gas, then took books back to the library, and when I got home at 11:45, everyone was just getting to bed. I sat there watching the game, not wanting to do the dishes as I had promised.

The rain was pounding down in LA, as Munson might say, at least for baseball. I carefully watched the HR replay to confirm it was Dews. Didn’t see Dews when I went to the game Saturday. Was about ready to turn if off when Betimit got on and Giles came up.

Most of the Dodgers were wearing the modern helmets…but I didn't notice any Braves wearing them.

Got a 9 am meeting Saturday, so I’ve gotta catch up on my sleep sometime, so I won’t fall asleep at the wedding. I’ll drink caffeine, but then I’ll have to go to the bathroom.

When I get mail from Reid, I always check and save any interesting stamps. He's been in a slump for a while, perhaps because the post office changed to .39 cent stamps.

From the March 15th weekend...After his game Will and I hit Publix, Kinko’s, and the post office to send in our applications for the Peachtree Road Race. We drove downtown, but with only the priciest tickets available for the Thrashers game, we decided not to go. Instead we ate at Checkers and hit a couple of used book stores, looking for Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.

Sunday Will taught in Ceil’s four-year-old class while I was in the 8:30 service. We stopped by McDonalds on our way to the golf course. I had never been there before, but eventually I found it, right where it was supposed to be, just across 575 in Woodstock. It was a little nine hole par three course, with most holes around 100 yards.

We played it twice, doing ok. The greens were tiny, so we didn’t hit them very much. I did hit many tee shots to the fridge, just a foot or so off the green. Many of the greens were turtlebacks, so it was easy to chip from one side all the way across and off the other side...so I putted more than I chipped. We were tied going to the 18th hole, and I choked, so Will won.

Reid's cut out art he's been sending is being posted on our fridge. Anna tried her hand at cutting some the other day.

No comments: