Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Retreat Recap: Day One

Random rememberences from Retreat Two. Day One/Tuesday...

Group A leaves around 5:50 am. I'm A3, joined by co-pilot Mrs. Taylor, Kat, Alex, Frances, Mary Clayton, & Brianna (alphabetical by last name). Before we hit 92, Mrs. Taylor gives me my first recap nugget, asking Alex if she remembered standing next to her at the Christmas Party over ten months ago. The girls giggle.

Minutes later I make a similar observation. I ask Brianna if she remembers seeing me at the Celebrate Freedom Concert on Labor Day. She did! I tell her a secret, that I was the one who texted the shout-out that her sister saw. Making the story even more boring, I go into even more detail about the shout-outs. Mary Clayton goes to sleep.

At the Rumble Rest Stop, Mrs. Taylor makes a bee-line to the trucker parking lot. Husband Mickey was waiting there with her purse. We're wearing orange shirts, so Mrs. Wiggins wears orange trimmed Nikes. Can't wait until purple shirt day.

Group A hops back on the highway, staying in the right lane for the immediate exit onto 475, bypassing Macon. Mrs. Phearson mans the A1 communicator, so the announcements sound professional, like the OnStar lady. She makes sure the A Group stays together. Led by the Norman 15 passenger van, the A Group lumbers along like a Gopher Tortise. I mention to Mrs. Taylor that Mr. Leiner is doing a nice job keeping his B Group well behind Group A.

It isn't long before the second stop, at the Exit 109 Pilot station. We gas up and weather. It's not until we're about ready to depart when the B Group shows up. It isn't until Friday that we discover he had taken 75 through Macon, which is nine miles longer (according to Google Maps). Fellow chaperones tease Mr. Leiner merclessly.

At the Pilot Mrs. Leiner becomes my co-pilot. Kat, Frances, Grace, Mary, and Brianna dig into the EPs. Us chaperones aren't much help answering the tough EP questions.

Next stop is at the Florida Welcome Station. It's the Big Mix, and a few Group B girls hop in the van: Jessica, Rachael, Hannah, Mary, and Claire. Back on the highway, they snap all kinds of pictures.

We take the Jacksonville Perimeter, then make one last stop at a I-95 rest area. On the fence surrounding a lake hangs a sign warning of poisionous snakes. Where do you think everyone gathers? Marshall poses in front of the sign, flopping on the ground. This isn't good. Mr. D calls as we're about to depart. He is pleased with our progress.

My A3 final group includes Jessica, Sandy, Frances, Rachael, and Hannah. Sandy pulls out her box of Little Debbie "Swiss Rolls" and offers one to Hannah. "Uh, my family only eats beans & rice." said Hannah. "And lentels" I warn her to proceed slowly. later Hannah admitted "feeling funny" after eating her first one.

We arrive at the Holiday Inn, and soon make our way to Fort Matanzas. I shuttle Mr. Winkler, Kevin, Will, Joel, and Michael Brewton. At the Fort one of Kevin's team members is hatless, a capitol offense. I offer Kevin the yellow cap I'd picked up at the LS yard sale, and later spot it on Will Sykes' noggin.

The groups take turns taking a nature walk, watching an educational video, and taking boat trips across the river to the fort. Snapping pictures, I wander, hanging out with different groups. Alyssa finds a frog, and labors to identify it. I take the last boat, with Kassie and Daniel. Young Master Ellis points to the Ranger at the wheel, wanting to be "with him." If you paid close attention on the boat, this is funny.

On the ride back to the hotel, I quiz my passengers on the hotel dinners. "Stay away from the meatballs" says Kevin. His opinion soon becomes reality.

Taking a break in the rooms, the students quickly find the balconies. The grid reminds me of The Brady Bunch. Perhaps we should play Hollywood Squares. In the parking lot below, Mr. Landrum shares a trick he learned in college, that involved ice water. The two 9th-grade boys in my room loved the idea.

Back in the conference room I see Jordan icing her knee. Since this reporter asks the tough questions, I quickly got the story. On her birthday, someone with the initials "AH" had pushed her in the pool. Jordan had slipped during the ensuing chase. Still trying to determine this AH character.

After dinner we view an interesting Answers In Genesis video, listing some of God's most amazing creations. One creature in particular caught my eye. I vow to make sure everyone remembers it.

No comments: