Friday, January 16, 2015

Adios El Oso

No shock about the Evan Gattis trade. I loved watching him play and loved his story. But his outfield defense would’ve made for a long season. Gattis missed parts of the past two seasons with injuries. Wouldn’t surprise me to see the White Bear on the AL All-Star team this summer. Now that the Braves need an outfielder will they go after the good hit / good field small ball former ROY / AL MVP unsigned free agent outfielder? I hear Ichiro can be had on the cheap.

The Braves 2015 playoff chances skyrocketed this week with the Nationals’ acquisition of shortstop Yunel Escobar. With all the roster turnover it’s no wonder the bobblehead schedule has yet to be released. Besides Smoltz possibilities include Markakis, Teheran, Minor, Wood, and possibly Bethancourt.
ROB: I have mixed emotions about the Gattis trade.  I sort of wanted to see him play LF everyday and hit 30+ HR's, but I was also concerned if he could stay healthy enough to ever do that.

By the time we move into the new ballpark, we could have a roster of young, controllable power arms in addition to an infield of Bethancourt, Freeman, Peraza, Simmons and the kid Rio they got from Houston.  It is too early to project the OF, but ultimately, you can go out and buy outfielders. I don't think I truly realized until now just how much the misses on Uggla, BJ, Heyward and Johnson set back the franchise.  They have too much pitching to be truly awful (90+ losses) over the next 2 seasons.  However, I don't see where the runs are going to come from.

Are you ready to jump on the Hawks bandwagon yet?

ME: Definitely on the Hawks bandwagon. I’m a typical fan who knows little about the team. Glad they are winning the Spurs way, playing team basketball without a star. After hanging out in a Phillips Arena luxury suite during the Passion Conference Ceil said she could stomach attending a Hawks game – as long as she got to sit in a luxury box. Did you read the long Hawks article I posted on Facebook? Interesting all the thought processes they’re going through to boost attendance. Guess I am an Alpharetta unicorn. I stumbled across that article on Uni Watch because the article had one sentence mentioning possible new uniforms (which I would be in favor of). I wonder if the rebranding of the Hawks led to the jersey switch from HAWKS to ATLANTA. 680 is worried about a trade messing up the chemistry of the Hawks team. Not sure a trade is needed.

TUESDAY: another slow night. Left work at six. Ceil cooked breaded boneless chicken, baked potato wedges, and salad. As usual I passed on the potatoes. C watched a British midwife show on Netflix and I watched a MLB Network show about Bruce Bochy and Tim Flannery. I put off doing the dishes until later.

WEDNESDAY: A few days ago I was looking at the parking receipt from last week and noticed the time stamp read just after 6:30, so it took us 30 minutes to drive the 5 miles from SPdL to 10th Street. Saved some time this week by taking Piedmont to Monroe to Tenth. I thought it would be funny to take an orange to the game and when you were getting a picture with the Orange Bowl trophy pull the orange out of your pocket and start peeling it. 
The GT / Notre Dame game was OK. Tech shot 54% in the first half, building up a 13 point lead - and then 26% in the second half. Could be a long year. Too long a line to get my picture with the Orange Bowl Trophy, but no big deal. Most of the football team did leave after halftime. QB Justin Thomas stayed – hopefully he’s keeping his grades up. I tweet from Tech games with the hope of having the tweet displayed on the jumbotron. Guess my tweets Wednesday night might’ve been too sarcastic for publication. Driving home from the game I made all the lights from the Buckhead Loop up 400 and Abernathy / Johnson Ferry and made it all the way home without stopping one time.

THURSDAY: Augusta trip went ok. Picked up Chickfila breakfast on the way out of town. Ate lunch at Applebees with the customer. Had a grilled chicken salad. Got caught without a book on CD so I was at the mercy of the radio. Drove back in the rain and took my time, stopping at five thrift stores. Only found one bobblehead. Got caught in the 400 north / Sandy Springs traffic. Ceil cooked baked chicken for supper. Also rice, grilled brussel sprouts, and mixed vegetables. I skipped the rice. Watched American Idol.

No comments: