Monday, March 16, 2015

Eating Out: 2 Hits One Out

Anna, Will, and Ceil pose in Oklahoma City.

After work Friday I stopped by three thrift stores on the way to my 745 focus group. Turned out I could have arrived earlier. I got to compare different fitness bands like the Fitbit, which I had considered purchasing. Monitors steps, heartbeat, calories burned, and how you sleep. Also reviewed was the new Apple watch. Not sure what I am going to do. Ceil’s mom is in town. C was dead set on taking her to Moxie Burger (one of my favorite places) so they went for Friday lunch – without me. I couldn’t believe it. M and A had a guitar lesson late Friday afternoon and then they ate dinner at Brixx, the brick oven pizza place in The Avenue East Cobb. I like thin crust pizza but there wasn’t much to Brixx pizza. The restaurant was filled with loud toddlers, so my family was leaving when I arrived. Back home Will was flipping between the UGA game and ND/Duke and OK/Iowa State. Eventually I went to bed.

Saturday morning I woke Will up at 6:15. We bundled up and lined up in the drizzle at 6:40 am outside the new Dicks Sports Goods for their grand opening at 7:45. They were giving away a kayak, gift cards, and other prizes. The line grew long. Many were there to secure a Dale Murphy autograph armband. We didn’t win but we both received $5.00 gift cards. We didn’t go back to see Dale Murphy because he had to sign 350 autographs in 2 hours. Sunday morning I got up again and went without Will to lie up again. I had forgotten that the Sunday opening wasn’t until 8:45 and there were only 2 people in line at 6:45. I went back home for a while and when I returned I sat in my car until 8 am. There weren’t as many people lining up so Will came over at 8:45. I got another $5.00 gift card but Will got a $20.00 card. We shopped around but didn’t get anything. At noon I returned for another drawing and use the gift cards, but the line to checkout stretched halfway through the store. Today I plan on getting a $55.00 pair of pants for $10.00.   

We went back to Moxie Burger for lunch. KY/Auburn was on the TV. Afterwards everyone went shopping except Will and me. We went to Dicks for a 3 pm drawing and to NAPA to get a brake light. NAPA was having a grand re-opening with race cars, kiddie rides, a radio remote, and free hot dogs and Cokes. I got some guitar picks for M and a Diet Coke for me. Back home for the GA/ARK game and a nap. For supper Ceil cooked two kinds of chili, and salad. Got to watch basketball Friday and Saturday, not as much on Sunday. I was pulled for UNC since Notre Dame is a newcomer to the conference. Saturday cheesy movie: Father of the Bride parts one and two. I went to bed.

Sunday morning when we got home from Dicks I cleaned, did laundry, and the dishes. Will went to the airport to pick up MC and Ceil took her mother to church. Anna had two tests on Monday so she went to Starbucks to study. I cleaned out Will’s Jeep and took it to the carwash for an oil change. Saw an old friend Paul Lovallo and had a nice chat. Back home I cleaned more and drove M down to Passion and gassed up Will’s Jeep.

We met MC’s family at Copelands for dinner, on Barrett Parkway. We had never been to Copelands but Regina said they go there too much. Food was excellent. W and MC shared a chicken sandwich, fries salad, and cheesecake. Doctor Tom arrived late and had eggplant and a white chocolate bread pudding dessert. The burgers looked great but I had a very good grilled chicken salad. We discussed wedding plans. Earlier in the day they had visited a wedding location in Dalton. Tom and I had a nice chat about the Braves, different stadiums, and different TV shows. During dinner he kept rubbing his shoulder, and later admitted his was quite sore and making it hard to sleep. Only then did I bore him with my own sore shoulder story.

We walked out of the restaurant at 9 am. Matthew texted that his concert would be over at ten. I raced home and dropped everyone off at 9:30 then raced down to get M. The concert was off Cheshire Bridge near Taquaria Del Sol. Arrived right at ten then had to wait an hour for the concert to end. Not pleased. Then we had to take McKinnon up to The Avalon in Alpharetta. Got home at 11:45 and went straight to bed.

Barney loved having a full house but tonight it will just be A and M and me, so he’ll mope around.     
   
Glad I did not have to endure basic training. Drownproofing class at Tech was hard enough. Also two-a-day football practices playing for very tough coaches. Neither seems too tough now. I probably could’ve survived basic training. It wouldn’t have been fun but I would’ve been better for it. Here at work young Jonathan is ex-military and he is on the ball and does an excellent job.

No comments: