Is a divorce coming between the President of the United States and the State of Israel? Once, it would have been almost preposterous even to ask such a question. Today, however, it feels like it's a matter of "when," not "if" Mr. Obama will formally abandon American support for the Jewish State. And the situation is rapidly going from bad to worse.
Readers of this blog may recall that I posted this column on January 14, 2015: "Will President Obama abandon or fully turn against Israel in last two years in office, amidst ISIS & Iran threats? Exclusive poll results." According an exclusive poll I commissioned late last year, a remarkable 47.4% of Americans fear the President will turn against Israel soon given that he won't ever face the voters again. I suspect the number would be much higher today
As I traveled through the U.S. in January and February on The Third Target book tour speaking to Christian audiences and meeting with Evangelical leaders, I found many who are becoming deeply concerned that an historic and disastrous break is coming. Speaking at the National Religious Broadcasters Convention recently, I raised this question: "What if America is not simply entering a season of strained relations with Israel, but we are heading towards total American abandonment of the Jewish State?"
Consider just a handful of headlines published since I gave that speech:
· The U.S.-Israel relationship is at “the lowest point in the alliance that diplomatic sages can recall.” (New York Times)
For an American President, or Congress, or the American people to turn against Israel and the Jewish people would be more than bad policy or unfortunate politics. According to Bible prophecy, such moves would pose an existential threat to the future of the United States.
· In Genesis 12:1-3, the Lord God vows that He will bless those who bless Israel and the Jewish people, and curse those who curse them.
· In Joel 3:2, the Lord God warns that He will bring into judgment "all the nations" who "divide My land," the Land of Israel.
· In Ezekiel 38-39, the Lord God warns that a group of nations led by Russia (Magog) and Iran (Persia) will form an alliance and attack Israel in the “last days,” andthat no nation will come to Israel’s defense -- indeed, Israel will be abandoned by all of its friends and allies when this terrible moment occurs.
· What's more, in Revelation 16, the Lord God warns that all nations will not simply abandon Israel but will eventually actively turn violent towards Israel and attack Israel and the Jewish people in the End of Days (the Battle of Har Meggido, the Mountain of Meggido, also known as the Battle of Armageddon).
As noted at the NRB Convention, "the Bible teaches us that all nations will turn against Israel in the last days — and all nations will face judgment for it — but woe into us if it happens on our watch."
Have we come to that fateful moment? Not quite yet, but we are getting dangerously close. Even though 70% of Americans support Israel, we are watching the President:
· negotiate an incredibly dangerous nuclear deal with Iran
· refuse to share the precise details of this deal with Israel, America’s most faithful and trusted ally in the region
· treat the Israeli Prime Minister nearly as persona non grata
· send the VP and Secretary of State out of country to avoid seeing the Prime Minister
· send his political strategists and operatives to defeat the Prime Minister and his party in Israel’s recent elections
· seem to threaten revenge because the PM won reelection
· threaten to abandon Israel at the UN and allow anti-Israel resolutions to pass without an American veto
· threaten to force Israel to divide Jerusalem and roll back to her pre-1967 borders or face severe international consequences
· and now declassify details of Israel's top secret nuclear program in what is being described as an "unprecedented move"
This is the most dangerous moment in the 67-year history of the U.S.-Israel relationship. What do the next two years hold? I cannot say for sure. I'm praying for the President and his top advisors to back off, turn from this dangerous path and find common ground with Israel, despite policy and personality differences.
But this much I know: on top of all America’s national challenges and sins, including 58 million abortions, we dare not also abandon or turn against Israel and the Jewish people. If we do, we will seal our fate and face the judgment of God.