Thursday, March 26, 2015

Frank the Tank

Remember how college teams used to start their season by playing a game against a team called Marathon Oil? The father of Wisconsin all-American center Frank Kaminsky was a NAIA all-American in 76 and 77. Then he played for Marathon Oil until he was 40 years old. In 86 they beat 12th ranked Auburn.  His last game was a 1995 win over Bonzi Wells’ Ball State team.

Worked until 615 last night then turned left out of the parking lot onto PIB to head home. Called Ceil and learned I was supposed to pick up M at 630 – in the opposite direction from which I was headed. Traffic was light and I took a less-traveled back route and made it by 645 – twenty minutes before M was dropped off. Didn’t get home until 745. Ceil served Trader Joes angus beef burgers and salad at 810.

Arrived at work this morning at my usual time, about 710. Opened the back door to grab my briefcase and noticed M’s backpack. So I missed 1-1/2 hours of work fighting traffic back to his school in Alpharetta. When I try to tell M how much money I could have earned instead of correcting his mistake (money to pay for his tuition and food and concerts and other extravagances) he just thinks I’m more concerned about money than him. Then at a red light I see an email that he hadn’t finished a homework assignment and I get even more frustrated. Made it even harder to concentrate on the book on CD telling me what a nice guy JFK Jr was.   

My friend Lee works right next to the new ballpark. I had thought he worked across 285 near the Galleria (and he used to). He’s in the building where they take the time lapse pictures. When I talked to him about it he showed me the pictures he’s been taking out his window. They have been told that game day parking will impact their lot. Their lease is up next year but they’re thinking about signing a short lease to see what life next to the stadium would be like.

Christy, who graduated from high school with Will, has been a dancer her whole life. She danced in high school as well as college and spent one summer dancing in NYC.  She’s about to graduate from Samford and has accepted a job with Carnival Cruise Lines to dance on their cruise ships. May just be a good entry level dance job. Her mom may be taking more cruises in the future.

I remember going to Callaway Gardens as a kid in the 60’s, but I don’t know the exact day. Sometimes my dad would have business meeting there and we would get to stay in the cabins. Hang out on the beach, ride the little train, then put pennies and gravel rocks on the tracks for the train to run over. Never went to the FSU circus, but never wanted to. That chapel by the lake is a cool place. Later we took our kids to the butterfly center. Also visited FDR’s Little White House as a kid, with a walkway lined with a rock in the shape of every state.

Ceil, Will, and I got into the Peachtree Road Race. My 28th and Will’s 12th. Ceil’s second. Must still be popular because coworker Dennis had two entries rejected. Hard for me to run right now with my hurt should – hard to pump my arms. I need to get out there and walk. Will help keep my brain working better.  

After all those meetings Monday I worked until 6:30. Ceil cooked her great homemade pizza – which I didn’t need to eat. She watched The Voice. I went to bed at ten. Tuesday no one called in to our 11 am meeting. Kinda like that ESPN commercial with all the mascots and Scott Van Pelt tries to call in.

I've giving basketball sage Reid extra column inches during March Madness:

REID: Stuck in a small article in ajc says that Mark Price has been hired as head coach at the University of Charlotte. The purist I am, I turned on the Old Dominion/Murray St game. Was initially surprised that Old Dominion's Arena was filled and jumping. MS was 10 points behind with 2 min to go. They caught fire and got to within 3 in the last 10 sec. A guy threw up a heave from way back and it went in tio tie the game. The crowd became very quiet. OD threw the ball in after a time out, and the guy shot a prayer while running and jumping way behind the line, that somehow went in. The crowd erumped.  The bench came running out on court and mobbed the shooter knocking him to the floor while they all piled on. Coaches came running out to pull the players off the shooter. It was one of the best finishes I've ever seen.

ME: That’s good that Mark Price got the head coaching job.

Ceil recently went to Rays on the River. I’ve only been once, many years ago. At what used to be the Norcross Rail Station Restaurant one of their signature side dishes is macaroni and cheese with lobster baked in. When you order it (or order M&C without lobster) they bake it in the oven in a small dish and serve it scalding hot.

Sports Illustrated did a top 25 NBA ugliest uniforms. I couldn’t believe the lime green Hawks unis topped the list. The Motumbo era unis with the Hawk flying at you were also near the top. 

No comments: