Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Freddie Hugs Night

Left work a little later than I would’ve liked, and then had to stop by the bank. As usual 85 south traffic stacked up at the 400 merge, so it was after 4 pm by the time I pulled into the unusually full IBEW parking lot in a light rain. I hated to take my long umbrella, but I did. I was sweating like a big as I walked up the steps to the already long dollar ticket line.

I immediately saw two good bobblehead friends chatting with each other: young Kevin Martin from Birmingham and old Bobby Tallant from Cumming. Kevin waved me over so I snuck in line with them. Bobby had already given his card to Kevin. Bobblehead Herb, the Jewish man I’d stood in line with last month, was behind Kevin so I included him in our conversations. Just as I wondered where Bobby Myers was I saw him in line behind us. The dollar ticket window opened 15 minutes early, but then we had to stand in line at the gate. I walked in with John Parkes and went to sit in the shade. Later I went back for a second bobblehead.

At 5:25 John went off on his usual routine so I slipped down to say hello to Johnny and Marshal. Then my dad called and we had a nice long chat. While we were talking the Dodgers started launching balls our way, and Johnny caught one right in front of me. Later for some reason a Dodger relief pitcher cranked up an unleashed a long throw from the left field foul line all the way across to the wall in right-centerfield. There was no Dodger there waiting to catch the throw, which hit off the very top of the wall and bounced back on the field. Had the throw landed just one foot higher it would have struck an unsuspecting fan in the stands. Fortunately the Dodger did not attempt another long throw.
After BP I stopped by the designated driver booth and game used store, then made my way to the upper deck. I walked all the way around and saw this good view of the new Falcons stadium in the distance (above). If they name it the Atlanta Fulton County Stadium the Falcons will never go to the Super Bowl.
I also spotted an interesting parking space right next to the stadium, and asked Bobby Myers if he parked there. He didn’t, but mentioned that Kevin had already collected 18 bobbleheads. I could offer fans ten dollars and make money off them, but I won’t. I settled into a front row seat and checked out my surroundings.
The American flag was at half mast for the Chattanooga shooting victims.

Only five relievers made their way to the bullpen (later closer Jim Johnson jogged out to join them).

As usual, the Chief was holding court in his seat on the front row.

Starting pitcher Alex Wood walked in from the bullpen just as the starting lineups were being introduced. A cameraman walked backwards in front of Wood, but he was never introduced as the number nine hitter. I watched with interest as pitching coach Roger McDowell took his time walking in from the bullpen. Not only did he spot a young girl to hand a ball to, he lingered by the stands to chat and sign autographs even as the team took the field for the start of the game.

Braves hall of famer Ralph Garr, in town for Monday’s Braves HOF induction, was still sitting in the dugout in uniform. That's him leaning forward to the right of number 37. It would be cool if some of his number 48 jerseys made their way over to the game used store, since all the Bobby Dews jerseys have sold out. Still some BJ Upton jerseys for sale, and one for Gwinnett backup catcher Jose Yepez. Note above at the lower end of the dugout: Shelby Miller rocking the high-cuffed pants. 

After negotiating the downtown thunderstorm on the way to the game, dark clouds loomed over west Atlanta most of the evening. It never rained but still made for a beautiful sunset.

During the game I noticed a unique aspect Alex Wood shares with less than one percent of all baseball players (and me) – he throws left and bats right. I spotted an online article saying there are only about 57 others in MLB history. Other BL/TR players include HOF pitcher s Randy Johnson, Carl Hubbell, and Rube Waddell, and former Braves 1B/OF Brian Hunter.

The inning after an Andrelton Simmons Q&A was shown on the jumbotron one they put on the Simba-Cam – dads holding their babies and toddlers high in the air. Beats the Kiss Cam and even the Freddie Freeman Hug Cam, though the Hug Cam would’ve been appropriate on Freddie Hugs bobblehead night.

At one point the Dodgers were threatening with runners on first and second. The batter pulled a one-hopper foul that third-baseman Juan Uribe back-handed. Knowing it was foul the ex-Dodger Uribe let his momentum carry him a couple more steps toward the stands. Instead of tossing the ball back to the pitcher or into the stands, Uribe fired a fastball into the Dodger dugout – most probably directly at an ex-teammate buddy of his. On the next pitch the Dodgers hit into an inning-ending 6-4-3 double pay (above).

Rightfielder Yasiel Puig came into the game batting .260 with four home runs. I could have done without having to watch him crank a second-inning home run. Later Braves backup catcher Ryan Lavarnway led off the bottom of the sixth and smashed a line drive over Puig’s head to the wall in right field. As the slow-footed catcher rounded first and headed to second I knew what was about to happen: Puig’s throw arrived at second well before Lavarney for the first out of the inning. Had the catcher settled for a single the next batter – pitcher Alex Wood – could’ve sacrificed him to second. Instead Wood struck out, leaving no on two out instead of a runner on second with one out and the top of the order at bat. Rookie mistake.

After the third out I headed out to my car. I had been at the ballpark for over five hours of fun and had stuff to do at home. I listened to the rest of the game on the drive home, stopping at RaceTrac and Kroger on the way.

No comments: