Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Share the Road?

On my commute to and from work I bypass downtown Roswell and Holcomb Bridge for two miles on either side of GA 400 and instead cut by the river for about four miles. A very beautiful winding drive with trees hanging overhead. A few joggers and the occasional deer sighting, and very little traffic. Since yesterday I was headed to the library this added another mile or two to the river route. Usually this is a great drive but yesterday I quickly fell behind a pack of 30 or more bicycles. There were too many of them to stick to the bike lane. Instead they spilled out onto the road, so us cars couldn’t pass. Instead we poked along at less than 20 MPH. When the car in front of me turned left on Roswell Road this made me the lead car behind the bikes. Eventually there was no oncoming traffic and the bikes were sufficiently spread out enough to allow me to pass at least some of them. Even then they were fearless, riding alongside me. The pictures I took didn't do the logjam justice. Finally as we were passing the Chattahoochie Nature Center was I able to pass the entire pack. I looked back and eventually the Jeep behind me passed them as well. I see bumper stickers on cars saying “Share the Road” but I’ve never seen one on a bike. “Share the Road” sure seems like a one way street.    
 
BASEBALL: Sounds like the Yankees think they can make a run to the World Series. I hear they’re trying to trade for Kimbrel. Good thing the Nationals or Mets aren’t after Kimbrel. Will ARod win comeback player of the year? Mark Texeira is having a good season as well.
 
The Braves could still make another trade or two. Jim Johnson or Maybin could be moved. Might as well get as many prospects as possible. Or they could decide Maybin is a keeper. Some fans are hoping the Braves make a trade for a hitter. Unless that hitter is Troy Tulowitzki it ain’t gonna happen. The Braves are stocking up on prospects for the future and not trying to plug holes for the rest of this year. Might as well root for the Yankees, huh? Anyone but the Nationals.
 
Everyone complains about the lack of home runs off Markakis’ bat. What do these fans want, to go back to the days of Uggla and BJ? They forget he’s hitting .295. And they forget that he had neck surgery and couldn’t train and lift weights all winter. Next year he should be even better than this year. Last week he threw out a baserunner.
 
Troy Tulowitzki has been toiling in anonominity in Colorado for several years. Great performance but his all-out play has led to several injuries. He’s no longer the young whippersnapper and his production has most probably peaked. His won’t go downhill like a catcher like McCann but whoever winds up paying the rest of his contract (Toronto?) might end up disappointed. Kincaid was arguing this point but also said he’s love for the Braves to give up a talented pitcher so Tulo could play third. Atlanta needs to hold onto Miller and Wisler for sure.  
 
Monday: I couldn’t find the remote to turn on the TV! Worked until 6:15 then stopped by the auto parts store on the way home, then Kroger. Ceil cooked taco salad for us and Will. Later she returned some items to Nancys then picked me up in Roswell where I had left my car at the shop. Turned on the Braves in time to see Avilan throw his one pitch.
 
So Tuesday I leave work at six. Stop by two thrift stores, the library, and gas up Anna’s Jeep which I was driving. Get home and supper’s not ready, so Anna takes me to Roswell to pick up my car from the shop. Then I gas up the CRV. We don’t eat until 8:30. I help Ceil clean the kitchen, watch some Braves, and play on the laptop. Then it’s time for bed.
 
Many sweepstakes ask for your gender. I just entered a contest that asked “I identify as” male or female. At least it didn’t have any other options.
 
Taco Bell is advertising the Big Box meal for five dollars. A burrito with a little bacon, taco, bacon club chalupa, and medium drink. I had to try it and I guess it was ok. Two beefy Frito burritos are plenty for me, so the Big Box was overkill. They opened a new Taco Bell at the corner of Peachtree Parkway and Spaulding (PP) – seemed like a few more red lights than the one on PIB and Pleasant Hill (PH). Both had “fast” service (not too slow). PH 2.3 miles 6 min 3 lights but a busy left turn. PP 2.8 miles 7 min 6 lights but better employees? But they gave me a hard taco when I ordered soft. Sunday the Wendy’s in Macon left off lettuce and were stingy with other condiments, though most Wendy’s do a decent job. So many make mistakes and are so slow that you wonder why they think they deserve $15.00 an hour. The high minimum wage is already backfiring in Seattle, where workers don’t want to make so much money that they’re no longer eligible for food stamps and other government handouts.  
 
I like the 680 morning and afternoon drive shows. Christopher Rude and especially Kris Dimino, who really knows baseball. Not really a fan of Hometeam Leak, who likes to hear himself talk and often talks without thinking about what he’s saying. I hate John Kincaid but Buck Belue is ok. The King of College Football Chuck Oliver knows more about sports than anyone I’ve ever known. When he travels for work he doesn’t go out but stays in his room studying media guides and watching obscure college football games on TV. I like his partner Matt Chernoff as well.
 
While driving through downtown Roswell I saw the refurbished old house they’re making into The Big Ketch. Not far from Claire’s house. I had to look up exactly where that Agave was. Interesting how that area of town has changed and grown. We were down at Oakland Cemetery a few years ago and saw a few restaurants down there then. Another place that’s really picked up is down near where Ponce de Leon Park was, and across the street next to the old Sears building. Also what’s called the Old Fourth Ward, near Little Five Points.  
 
REID: New game. I used to play this on line Putt-putt golf game on line all the time, then I quit. Picked it up again lately. It is more like the real Putt-Putt as opposed to Goofy so I like it. Does have 1 or 2 goofy holes to it.  My record is 28. See if you can beat. www.mini-putt.org
 
ME: I remember this game. I used to play all the time. I got a 37 just now. If I played again I’d probably do better but until I can practice it would be tough to break 30.

No comments: