Thursday, September 27, 2018

Cokes for Sale

I have a bunch of old Coke bottles, mostly from the 80’s and 90’s. Couple of years ago I did a little research and tried to sell them on Craig’s List. Hard to sell on eBay cause they’re so heavy and hard to ship liquids. All the collectors seem to have most of the Coke bottles already, few are really rare. Tried to sell my entire lot for $100.00 but got no offers. Need to try again. Every now and then I’ll see various Coke bottles at thrift stores. I’m sure the six packs in the cartons with all six bottles full are more valuable, unfortunately I’m not sure exactly how much they’re worth, since all the collectors already have them. Got any from the 60’s or 70’s? Those might be more valuable.

The kids might want a UGA bottle but little else. Anna has one in her room in Athens. I have one or two bottles given out to 1996 torchbearers, that are relatively rare. Brought back a six pack of NBA all-star game from Phoenix back in 1997 that is rare in these parts. Bought one when we went to Graceland. At least eight different Olympic bottles. Falcons. Several Braves. Smoltz. Peachtree Road Race. All six packs. Got a few special six packs of cans as well. And more.
 
Got a few of the old bottles with the name of a city on the bottom of the bottle. Remember when you used to get a Coke, and the game was to see whose bottle was from the furthest away? Kids today wouldn’t know what I was talking about.

The potato bar: reminds me of when I used to work with the Suggs. Once a week we’d eat at the Western Sizzlin at the corner of Buford Highway and Oakcliff (a stone’s throw from where Dock grew up). We’d get the potato bar, and load that tater up with all the fixings: cheese, sour cream, bacon bits, chili, etc. Grilled onions and peppers would’ve been good but back then I didn’t eat that.
 
Also at least once a week we’d eat at the Pizza Inn buffet on Buford Highway. We all had our plastic Pizza Inn soda cup we’d take for free drinks. The inside of the cups were brown from all the use.
 
 
Worked until 5:45 on Tuesday. Had to get gas on the way home. The way I parked so I wouldn’t stick out in the way of other cars made me have to stretch the gas hose. Left RaceTrac and was stopped at a red light, and someone honked at me. Wasn’t sure why. Stopped at a thrift store and bought a casual shirt with an old-timey baseball print. Also a Braves t-shirt.
 Left there and was on the way home. Another car honked at me and pointed. I had left the gas cap dangling. Had to stop for that. Later I stopped at another thrift store.
 
Ceil cooked chicken stir fry and broccoli. Cleaned up. Watched The Voice, This Is Us, and a new hospital show. Also kept tabs on the Braves.  Woke up early and walked/ran this morning. Need to do this every day.
 
Lunch meeting Wednesday, catered by Jason’s Deli. Had a BBQ brisket sandwich with onions, chips, and chocolate chip cookie. Worked until six. Ceil cooked a quesadilla with chicken, rice, beans, tomatoes. Also tossed salad. After cleanup we watched Chicago Med, some of the Braves, not sure what else. This morning I walked/ran two miles. Legs sore. Mexican soup for lunch.    
 
The old blog hasn’t been getting much traffic lately. Only nine or ten or eleven views a day. Drives me crazy because the content is better than ever, right?  I could share posts on social media, but really don’t want to. Actually with work busy and other things taking priority, I try to spend as little time as possible on these daily blog posts. You can’t tell, can you?
 
Racist comment of the day: I suppose the migration of immigrants to the US is similar to the old days when boatloads came over from Ireland and Poland and such. I guess back then it was just as hard (or harder) to acclimate themselves into society and American culture. As the generations passed it became easier. These days you hear stories of immigrants learning English from TV, watching cartoons. Like then, these days first-generation immigrants cling to their families and those from their same countries, working in ethnic restaurants and shops. The language barrier makes it harder to immigrants to succeed in jobs in larger companies and corporations. With the unemployment rate so low its becoming harder and harder to find employees who even understand English well enough to follow directions.

No comments: